VMware Communities
mykmelez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

missing /usr/lib/vmware-tools/modules/binary/bld-2.6.5-7.139_x86_64-smp-SLES9_SP1/properties

When I install tools, the configure script complains every time it compiles a kernel module that it is 'Unable to open the property file "/usr/lib/vmware-tools/modules/binary/bld-2.6.5-7.139_x86_64-smp-SLES9_SP1/properties. Skipping this kernel.'

Listing the contents of all subdirectories of /usr/lib/vmware-tools/modules/binary/ shows that there is indeed a missing "properties" file in that one subdirectory. That seems like a bug (albeit a minor one).

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Bug filed - but we need more information, like the Fusion version. Please check this:

Thanks!

Kevin

0 Kudos
mykmelez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Kevin,

I'm using VMware Fusion "Version 2.0.2 (147997)" on a MacBook Pro (2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM) running a Mac OS X 10.5.6 host OS with all updates as of today.

I notice the problem when I configure VMware Tools for Linux "Version 7.9.3, build-147997" in a 32-bit Ubuntu 8.10 guest VM with all updates as of today.

Let me know if I can provide any additional information.

-myk

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

myk -

I tried to reproduce this. Perhaps we're using different versions of SP1; mine (RC6a) loads kernel 2.6.5-7.145 - and, indeed, there are modules for that version. Could you try with a different version of SP1? Or perhaps you might want to try SP2 or SP3...

Kevin

0 Kudos
mykmelez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm actually not using SLES at all. I get this message when configuring tools on Ubuntu (8.10). Perhaps the configure script tries to access the properties file in all (84) subdirectories of /usr/lib/vmware-tools/modules/binary/? A bit of investigation reveals that 83 of those directories contain a properties file; bld-2.6.5-7.139_x86_64-smp-SLES9_SP1 is the only one that doesn't. Which would explain the error message.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

myk - The script uses string matching. In my Ubuntu 8.10 installation, I don't have that directory - and I only have 83 subdirectories. I'd suggest either you try deleting that subdirectory, or uninstall tools, ensure that /usr/lib/vmware-tools is gone and reinstall.

Let me know what happens.

Kevin

0 Kudos
mykmelez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hmm, indeed, after uninstalling tools, the other subdirectories of /usr/lib/vmware-tools/modules/binary/ had been removed, but bld-2.6.5-7.139_x86_64-smp-SLES9_SP1 was still there. After removing it and reinstalling tools, tools configuration no longer complained about the missing properties file.

So I guess the actual problem is that the tools uninstaller doesn't delete that directory that an earlier version of tools presumably placed there.

0 Kudos