VMware Communities
hmviking
Contributor
Contributor

macOS Ventura Fusion 13.0 Professional - Networking is networking

The setup is iMac Pro with a single wired trunk connection and multiple VLANs. When trying to get network running to a single VM with Windows 10 guest OS it has not been very successful or functional. I have tried both NAT and Bridge.

1. NAT: DHCP does not give the Windows 10 guest an IP address.
  The dhcp and nat processes for vmnet8 are running. 
  If I set the interface inside the VM to the first IP address in the DHCP range and setting the proper gate way to 192.168.249.2.
  I can ping to local devices on the network and the internet. DNS lookup works. However, browsing does not.
Q1: There is no setting in fusion that I'm aware of on how NAT should be routed. Only one of the VLANs is appropriate for the NAT translation. One could hope that the "Share with my Mac" setting would pick the VLAN that has the default route.

2. Bridge: 
 Ifconfig shows a bridge that has vlan and vmenet3 as a member. The guest OS has an address on the same subnet as the VLAN. Using tcpdump, I can see that packets go out from the VM on all three of vmenet3, the bridge and the vlan. Responses come back to the vlan and the bridge but are not forwarded to the vmenet3.

If someone has complete network functionality on either NAT or bridge to a fusion VM on a macOs system that has a trunk connection and VLANs please share the VMware Fusion/networking and nat/dhcp conf files and the VMs .vmx file. 

From googling my experience seems to have been going on for well over 2 years across various versions of Fusion and macOs since Catalina.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
hmviking
Contributor
Contributor

I messed up the subject line it was supposed to say networking is notworking, but spell check messed it up.

Here's an update of this "Notworking" issue. I tried putty in telnet mode to a local URL and captured the local traffic with Wireshark. Everything looked OK except that the server didn't like the request, but it did respond. Trying the same thing with edge. Nada. Downloaded Firefox and WTF! It works.

So it looks like Edge is fooled by some status in the system and it doesn't even go to first base. Unfortunately window update seems to have the same issue as edge so even though there is network activity something is not quite correct also indicated by the network status.

Anyone with comments or solution to this situation?

0 Kudos
Amestian
Contributor
Contributor

Were you able to solve the Bridge issue on Ventura? Please advise. I have re-installed the VM on MacOS Ventura and Auto-detect setting for the Network Adapter. Still not working.

0 Kudos