VMware Communities
Nutellash
Contributor
Contributor

macOS High Sierra and VMware Fusion 10.0.1

Hey there, I will make this as short as possible by presenting you all the problems I encounter by using Fusion 10.0.1 on macOS High Sierra (MacBook Pro 2015).

First of all. Downloading Windows 10 was almost impossible, I had to delete/reinstall the VM 5 times until it decided to work.

On all my VM's all my USB keys are not detected by the VM, they're automaticaly connected to my mac without even asking me were I want to connect it (I checked the Bluetooth and USB settings). Plus I used Fusion 8.x for a while and I never encountered any of these problems.

The last problem is that when I enable CD/DVD Drive, it tells me when I run Windows and Ubuntu this message : Cannot connect the virtual device sata0:1 because no corresponding device is available on the host. The same issue occurs on SCSI and IDE. However, I don't get this message on kali linux.

This is unacceptable that I can't use my usb keys and usb wireless adapters on my VM's. That I had to delete/reinstall windows more than 5 times until it decided to work ! (Each time it was sending me some kind of blue screen of death and telling that X file was missing...)

Is anyone else encountering these problems ? If yes did you find solutions to them ?

Thank you for your answers.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Nutellash
Contributor
Contributor

So no one got the same issues ?

0 Kudos
Nutellash
Contributor
Contributor

For the usb issue I was able to solve it by entering System Preferences ---> Security & Privacy ---> General ---> It will tell you that it blocked a VMware feature. Just click Allow and you'll be okay.

For the rest of the issues. Is wasn't able to solve them.

0 Kudos
Ganie
Contributor
Contributor

I was supposed to update my OS to High Sierra but I remember my VM, So here we go.. better keep my old OS while having my 10.0.1 happy.

0 Kudos
idtpes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Performance of 10.0.1 and High Sierra, Windows 8.1 on a MacBook Pro 2011 is horrendous for me...16GB RAM, SSD 1TB, 17".  Uninstalled VMtools, reinstalled and it is unusable.  High Sierra is fine, its Windows on Fusion that is the nightmare...freezes for 20 seconds at a time, comes back, rinse repeat.  Regret doing the upgrade...

0 Kudos
rvogo
Contributor
Contributor

For me too, over the past months, performance became absolutely unbearable.

I was not able to isolate what was the main issue, but various upgrades of Office (O365), Windows 7 to 10, Mac OS Sierra to High Sierra and Fusion 8 to 10 (for the High Sierra update)

Currently on Win7 / Office v1710 / Fusion 10.0.1 / Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.1

Skimming through various posts led me to convert my VM's Virtual HW back from v14 to v11 , which did improve things quite drastically.

However, I still hat this slowness when browsing the shared folder with Windows Explorer stalling for up to 40s on initial access for no apparent reason.

Disabling/removing Sophos AV also did the trick, and this was completely unexpected because it was not showing any activity whatsoever.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

AV systems that do disk scans are a common performance problem - it's triggered nearly every time the VM is activated.

What is the host and guest configuration?  The problems described in the thread could be the result of a over-configured guest.

0 Kudos