VMware Communities
wtfmatt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

macOS Catalina issue [beta]

Hello.  I installed the new macOS 10.15 beta today, and loaded fusion to find that my Windows 7 VM boots up and runs just fine, but only shows a black screen. I can see it in the library and even use it by typing, moving the mouse around in the black screen, and watching in the library but that's all. Has anyone experienced this before? I've tried reinstalling Fusion, to no avail. It also doesn't show anything during post/boot, so it's not a video driver issue I don't think.

- Accelerate 3D Graphics is NOT checked.

- I receive NO error messages.

Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 7.04.06 PM.png

59 Replies
Rverb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

THANKS , working perfectly and sooo simple.

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
danallenhtn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

stumostumo, I loved this idea, immediately created a new admin user in Catalina System Preferences -> Users and Accounts.  Then clicked on my username in the upper right of the Mac Menu Bar (actually, username is the 3rd  or 4th from the right item in the menu bar, depending on whether Siri is enabled), but anyway, logged in as the new user and boom badda bing, VMWare 11 already installed, included in the new account because it had been added in the first account created with the installation.

Still not received a popup for clicking onto the Screen Recording List.

Got the checkmarks for Input Monitoring and Full Disk Access, but still parched without a checkbox for VMWare Fusion.app on the screen recording area of Securty and Privacy.

This is Trump's fault.

I never lied to the FBI about my computer.

0 Kudos
danallenhtn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@

Ok, I am going to give this a try.  I am skeptical based on the fact this solution makes perfect sense.  Seems like it should definitely work.  I figure that means there is about 90% likelihood of continuing agony.  That beats 100%, so I am in.

And that goes even before counting the good times sure to come with breaking my computer's integrity, YES!! :smileylaugh:

:smileyconfused:  :smileyshocked:  One thing I am wondering about, I think I am going to have to print those commands and.... umm.... I must be missing something.... those commands have to be like .... typed in?  With a keyboard?  :smileyconfused:   There is no way that can be a possible requirement.  :smileycry:

I knew I should not have ditched that keyboard I had. :smileyshocked::smileycry:

**** thinking to what I saw earlier today in the Recovery Mode *****

I really don't see a way around this .....

ah ha! YESS!!

I'll save the commands in a txt file that I can ...

...open and

....copy from

.in Terminal!

:smileyplain: ***ok, looking around at all the staring faces in here..... ***  everybody else already knew that one, didn't they?

back in half hour.... if my computer still is booting at that point.

Seriously, I appreciate the effort you put into finding that solution.

*************************************************************************************

RESULT: SUCCESS

However,

Did not disable/reenable SIP (tip o' the hat to Lotusshaney​).

Could not access the txt file I had put the commands into, so I dug my keyboard out of the garbage typed them.  Used to my phone to view this thread and transcribed from there.

I could not get the sqlite3 command to work except from within terminal started from recovery mode. (Error in Catalina: unable to open database "/Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db": unable to open database file.  I guess disabling SIP allows access to that database file when booted into Catalina, but since I skipped disabling SIP, had to be in recovery mode to open that database)

Ran only one of the sqlite3 commands, the first one, for screen capture

(tip o' the hat to DevXPfeil​):

sudo sqlite3 "/Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db" 'insert into access values ("kTCCServiceScreenCapture", "com.vmware.fusion", 0, 1, 1, "", "", "", "UNUSED", "", 0,1565595574)'

Restarted to the  Catalina volume and now the screen recording checkbox in Security/Privacy  under the privacy tab is checked for VMWare Fusion.app

And now, VMWare 10.1.6 is running perfectly in Catalina Public Beta.

0 Kudos
trelab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MY INFO:

• catalina beta 7
  • VMware fusion 10.1.2 pro

STEP 1.

• create this script in your catalina install.  Adjust the ${root} variable as necessary:

# cat /private/etc/fixtccdb.sh

#!/bin/sh

###### CHANGE THIS AS REQUIRED #######

root="/Volumes/Macintosh HD"

ls -l "${root}/Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db"

ls -l "$root/usr/bin/sqlite3"

"$root/usr/bin/sqlite3" "${root}/Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db" 'insert into access values ("kTCCServiceScreenCapture", "com.vmware.fusion", 0, 1, 1, "", "", "", "UNUSED", "", 0,1565595574)'

ls -l "${root}/Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db"

STEP 2.

• reboot catalina in recovery mode, launch terminal, and run the script:

# sh -v "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/private/etc/fixtccdb.sh

STEP 3.

• reboot back to catalina, and check System Preferences to verify that VMware Fusion has Screen Recording privileges.

Thanks to all!

EyeM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Somebody PLEASE vault this answer to be the instant winner for those of us who don't want to spend endless hours uninstalling/reinstalling Fusion on Catalina in the fleeting hopes that Fusion will magically ask for permission to record the screen. This answer just gives that permission flat out without waiting for Fusion to ask for it, and it is the ONLY answer that worked for me on my Fusion 11.1.0 installation.

BTW, I did trim out the unnecessary "/Volumes/Macintosh HD" part of the path information on these commands because my HD is named differently. Here's the commands that saved the day on my Catalina beta install (I performed this from a rooted command prompt after entering "sudo su -" at the terminal and entering my password...no recovery mode or SIP disabling required):

"/usr/bin/sqlite3" "/Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db" 'insert into access values ("kTCCServiceScreenCapture", "com.vmware.fusion", 0, 1, 1, "", "", "", "UNUSED", "", 0,1565595574)'

"/usr/bin/sqlite3" "/Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db" 'insert into access values ("kTCCServiceListenEvent", "com.vmware.fusion", 0, 1, 1, "", "", "", "UNUSED", "", 0,1565595574)'

"/usr/bin/sqlite3" "/Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db" 'insert into access values ("kTCCServicePostEvent", "com.vmware.fusion", 0, 1, 1, "", "", "", "UNUSED", "", 0,1565595574)'

shavinderpal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Worked great. thanks

0 Kudos
Tank1252
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nothing showing in the list to check. How do I add Fusion to the list?

0 Kudos
relativitydrive
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This bit partially solved my issue as VMware Fusion 8.5 was already in the Accessibility list:

1. Open System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy.

2. Select Full Disk Access in the list on left side, click "+", select "VMware Fusion.app" in Applications to  add Fusion into the list.

I can see the VM correctly until it boots fully then the screen goes blank again.  Try this for yourself as it may solve it.  I'll keep looking for the next bit.

0 Kudos
relativitydrive
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgraded to VMware Fusion 11.  EU55 but it fixed it all instantly.

0 Kudos
av_30
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

sudo sqlite3 "/Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db" 'insert into access values ("kTCCServiceScreenCapture", "com.vmware.fusion", 0, 1, 1, "", "", "", "UNUSED", "", 0,1565595574)'

THIS SOLUTION WORKED BEST FOR ME.

0 Kudos
joe58123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrading to 11.5.0 fixed the issue for me.

It also resolved problems with Catalina Guest OS.

It's too bad that Fusion 10 doesn't work anymore. I've bought 10 and now I have to pay for 11? 11 will work for few versions, then I'll have to pay for 12. At the same time development has NO interest in fixing the issue, all work is based on community, as it's always the case in poorly managed companies.

0 Kudos
av_30
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have version 10.1 and its working perfectly. I did exactly as mentioned in post 33. Yo can avoid version 11.5 (if you are buying only for this reason)..

0 Kudos
DetlefSchmidt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Lotusshaney

I updated to Catalina 10.15 and my Fusion 8.5.10 showed the black screen. Installation of 11.5 and reinstallation of 8.5 did not work as I could no longer downgrade the VM. With 11.5 my smartcardreader which I use for online banking is only accessible as shared and does not work. I need the passthrough version which does not work under Fusion 11.5.

I did as you suggested under recovery mode entering all three commands and I could check VMware fusion for screenshots.

My Fusion 8.5 is running smooth, the smartcardreader is accessible as passthrough.

I should mention that I tried it only now after Catalina 10.15.1 was available. With that I will try VMware 11.5 after my new backup is finished (takes 5 hours)

Thanks a lot

Detlef Schmidt

0 Kudos
EyeM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cool. I am impressed to know that you could run Fusion 8.5 in Catalina. I recently downgraded my Fusion license to 8.x so I could run it in El Capitan on a 2007 Mac Pro that still runs like a champ, but maxes at 10.11 OS X (remember that name?).

0 Kudos
DetlefSchmidt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am happy that it fusion 8.5.10 is running after I solved the black screen issue.

I tried to run fusion 11.5 and it does no longer allow the passthrough more to use my smart card reader for safe online banking.

It recognizes it only as shared "Reiner SCT" card reader (that is the brand name).

I had the same issue years ago when I tried to upgrade to fusion 10.1.

I open a thread for that and I still hope that somebody finds a solution. So long 8.5.10. never change a running system. (As long as it is running)

Detlef

0 Kudos
paulzikopoulos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The thing is note VM Fusion isn't shown there and there is no + or - button.

0 Kudos
sonshine71
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have read through your solution to the Catalina Black Screen problem.

​Please excuse that I am a novice here. I'm trying to get your solution working for myself but seem to stumble over the first step.

​Where am I to create the script in my Catalina? Do I begin with opening a Terminal window and just begin cut/pasting your lines?

​Your assistance with this would be greatly appreciated. Simple step-by-step (sorry!).

0 Kudos
paulzikopoulos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I never got this working at all -- black screen so I had to upgrade to V11 Fusion and it works fine, but breaks the WEbCame if running ubuntu.

0 Kudos
timdmackey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

trelab's script worked for me to get Fusion 8 working on Catalina. Thanks! Solution: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/macOS-Catalina-issue-beta/m-p/447512/hig...

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

That's dangerous at best - make sure you have a good backup strategy.

0 Kudos