VMware Communities
snataniel
Contributor
Contributor

macOS Big Sur - VMware Fusion 12 not working anymore when host is connected to VPN

Hello,

I've updated my macOS from Catalina to Big Sur and since then i also had to upgrade from the VMware fusion 11 to VMware fusion 12.

I've been using expressVPN for couple of months and usually i connect the host machine to the VPN and then i'm also able to have my guest machines under the VPN, but it's happening that now every time i connect to the VPN the guest machines simply can't access the network anymore. Any idea how to solve this issue?

Vmware machines network configurations:

• I've tried my network adapter using the default configuration (Share with my MAC - NAT)
  • I've also tried with custom vmnet
Tags (3)
86 Replies
dinbtechit
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion and Mac BigSur NAT don't work at all.... even when there is no VPN involved. Bridge Networking (Host to VM) works like a charm (but the problem with bridging is... when my host machine is on VPN the VM is not....they are in 2 separate networks. So that doesn't work with what I am trying to do.)

I can't believe they still haven't fixed this issue. Clearly when NAT'ing works like a charm on Parallels and VirtualBox. This is def seems like a problem on the VMware end (Layman's hunch). 

soak
Contributor
Contributor

I waited to upgrade to Big Sur until yesterday. I then discovered VMWARE 11 had to be upgraded to 12. Which i did.  And just like the above posts. Now my guest windows 10 OS can no longer share the VPN connection of my host Mac Big Sur OS. I tried the work around mentioned above,  i.e. adding nat on utun.  But that didn't work for me.  So now I guess I"m going to have to run the VPN from my windows 10 OS. 

Come on VMware.  You can fix this.

SamirVerkuijlen
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion 12 VPN - Issue on macbook Big SUR - Solved with following fix.

Like everyone else, I could not connect certain VPNs after my upgrade to Big Sur, which also forced me to upgrade from VMware Fusion 11 to VMware Fusion 12. Within the network adapter of my windows vm (in the Virtual Machine Library of VMware), I changed the adapter settings to Autodetect, instead of Share my network connection. This made the difference, and my vpn connection could connect again

0 Kudos
FabienR
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

Ok, we're in 2021 and don't see any positive response from VMWare to solve or bring information regarding this problem.

Like all the other users I've tried all the kind of possible configurations and read all the posts I've found on the internet.. but without success.

Hope they will find out a way to solve this blocking problem !!

0 Kudos
aaronb1
Contributor
Contributor

Any news on this? Can't believe it is still broken.

0 Kudos
gabhain
Contributor
Contributor

I've been told that it will be fixed in the next release which is around VMWorld

0 Kudos
fangpengwansui
Contributor
Contributor

it's fixed now.

0 Kudos