VMware Communities
snataniel
Contributor
Contributor

macOS Big Sur - VMware Fusion 12 not working anymore when host is connected to VPN

Hello,

I've updated my macOS from Catalina to Big Sur and since then i also had to upgrade from the VMware fusion 11 to VMware fusion 12.

I've been using expressVPN for couple of months and usually i connect the host machine to the VPN and then i'm also able to have my guest machines under the VPN, but it's happening that now every time i connect to the VPN the guest machines simply can't access the network anymore. Any idea how to solve this issue?

Vmware machines network configurations:

• I've tried my network adapter using the default configuration (Share with my MAC - NAT)
  • I've also tried with custom vmnet
Tags (3)
86 Replies
peckers65
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar problem. After upgrading to Big Sur and Fusion 12 I opened my Windows 20H2 VM and then use VPN to connect to a work server.

After VPN is connected I can use email client that connects to work server, anti-virus connects to work server and receives updates etc, I can ping the work servers by IP address and FQDN etc. I cannot however get any Netwrok drive mappings to work at all. Keep getting error 67 when trying to map using CMD prompt and NET USE command or 'Location Not Found'when mapping through Windows Explorer. Tried using server IP address of FQDN to no avail.

Not sure if this is a Fusion Issue or Big Sur?

Please help if you can

0 Kudos
agilez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also use VMWare Fusion and Express VPN and am experiencing this issue. Prior to updating to Big Sur, I had the latest version of VMWare Fusion Player and Express VPN. My VPN was able to get a connection thru my host using NAT. After updating to Big Sur, I am not able to obtain a network connection when the VPN is enabled. If I disable the VPN, the network is restored. Or if I use a bridged connection, I am able to get a network connection but it is not protected by VPN. 

I need to return to getting my network connection using NAT and Express VPN.

If anyone has a fix for this, I would appreciate it.

0 Kudos
agilez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am curious if any of you that have had this issue were utilizing the split tunneling functionality in Express VPN that is no longer available in Big Sur.

0 Kudos
om3rx
Contributor
Contributor

same problem with Cisco Anyconnect on host.. NAT is not working in my Windows 10 VM

0 Kudos
agilez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You may have already tried this but I believe you have to get a later version of Cisco AnyConnect according to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA92mMv8bTA.

I'm still waiting for my company to get me the newer version to test. 

om3rx
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure how but now my Windows 10 VM with NAT selected shows Internet Access... however I can't access my company network even if my macOS is connected with Cisco AnyConnect..

0 Kudos
agilez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also have no connectivity thru NAT when Cisco AnyConnect is on. But I also don't have the latest version and I know there were changes to way AnyConnect works so that it will work with Big Sur.

whirlwinds
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue using VMware Fusion 12 and Big Sur. Express VPN is no longer working in my MX Linux guest. The VPN is working on my MAC host but not the guest.

Any updates on this?

0 Kudos
agilez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It sounds like your issue might be slightly different from mine. I had Express VPN running on my Mac host, not in my Guest OS. 

Either way, I'm still not sure if this is a Big Sur issue, VMWare issue, or Express VPN issue. 

0 Kudos
whirlwinds
Contributor
Contributor

This was working fine with Mac - Catalina and VMware Fusion 11.

0 Kudos
agilez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Agreed. Mine was even working with VMWare 12 before Big Sur.

whirlwinds
Contributor
Contributor

It's worth mentioning this is on a pre-existing VMware from VMware Fusion 11, will try to spin up a new vm and test.

0 Kudos
agilez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also tried to spin up a new VM from a fresh image. Still no luck.

0 Kudos
whirlwinds
Contributor
Contributor

Same... no change the default network connect - NAT does not connect just like the pre-existing VMs prior to Fusion 12.

Please address this.

duong2179
Contributor
Contributor

Run into the same issue: "Share with my Mac" doesn't work. "Autodetect", however, works perfectly.

snataniel
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a bit confuse about that as well...
I've tried:

1. Parallels Desktop + ExpressVPN (host side): Works fine. Host and guest machines are able to connect through VPN.
  2. VMware Fusion 12 + ExpressVPN (host side - protocol preference manually set to IKEv2): On guest machine surprisingly i see that there's a network and i quickly try to check my IP location and surprisingly again the VPN is working, buuuuuut just for a couple of seconds, then there's no network anymore 🤕.
    I could reproduce it but is non deterministic.

[Update]:
  3. So now i've tried ProtonVPN with free account and everything works fine.
0 Kudos
agilez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That’s good information. 

I spent a while working with express vpn support staff yesterday. I sent them this thread so they are aware of the issue. But we did not find a resolution. We tried removing network lock,  different protocols, and a reinstall. No success. 

They said they had to remove some of the code that allowed them to offer the previous split tunneling feature due to some changes in Big Sur. They don’t know if this is the cause. Their engineers are looking to add it back but there is no ETA. 

I may try a different VPN as well.

@snataniel  Was your parallels setup with NAT?

0 Kudos
whirlwinds
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone actually opened up a ticket with VMware on this issue? Curious to see what their response is and if this is a known issue that will be fixed in an update.

0 Kudos
agilez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried to submit a ticket but it appears I do not have support for Fusion Player 12. So, I'm unsure how to go about working with them.

0 Kudos