VMware Communities
om3rx
Contributor
Contributor

macOS Big Sur Fusion 12 NAT no internet connection

Hi,

Running latest macOS Big Sur with Fusion 12. Nothing changed in my virtual machine Windows 10 however internet connection is not working

173 Replies
BlazerChad
Contributor
Contributor

Above solution did not work for me. I added those entries to /etc/pf.conf, saved, rebooted host, manually set DNS on the guest, rebooted guest.

Still no joy.

0 Kudos
haagbard
Contributor
Contributor

These were the lines that was added to /etc/pd.conf

nat-anchor "com.apple.internet-sharing"
rdr-anchor "com.apple.internet-sharing"

The complete /etc/pd.conf looks like

cat /etc/pf.conf 
scrub-anchor "com.apple/*"
nat-anchor "com.apple/*"
rdr-anchor "com.apple/*"
nat-anchor "com.apple.internet-sharing"
rdr-anchor "com.apple.internet-sharing"
dummynet-anchor "com.apple/*"
anchor "com.apple/*"
load anchor "com.apple" from "/etc/pf.anchors/com.apple"
BlazerChad
Contributor
Contributor

mine looks like:

set limit {tables 10000, table-entries 400000}
scrub-anchor "cisco.anyconnect.vpn"
nat-anchor "com.apple/*"
rdr-anchor "com.apple/*"
nat-anchor "com.apple.internet-sharing" all
rdr-anchor "com.apple.internet-sharing" all
anchor "cisco.anyconnect.vpn"
load anchor "cisco.anyconnect.vpn" from "/opt/cisco/anyconnect/ac_pf.conf"
anchor "com.apple/*"

0 Kudos
haagbard
Contributor
Contributor

Try removing 'all' efter the entries.

0 Kudos
redhatter9
Contributor
Contributor

Below worked for me for both internet and VPN:

I added the last two lines below into file /private/etc/pf.conf (symlink of /etc/pf.conf). The location these are added in the file is important and must be at the beginning along with the other nat anchors. 

#
# com.apple anchor point
#
nat-anchor "com.apple/*"
rdr-anchor "com.apple/*"

nat-anchor "com.apple.internet-sharing/*"
rdr-anchor "com.apple.internet-sharing/*"

and then reloaded the pf.

sudo pfctl -d
sudo pfctl -e -f /etc/pf.conf

Additionally, in my VM (RHEL 8), I manually configured (rather than DHCP) my home router's DNS address, and to resolve hostnames on the VPN network, I added another DNS server (x.x.x.x below) for that.

cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver x.x.x.x
nameserver 192.168.29.244

ketokun
Contributor
Contributor

I think I had the same problem. I was able to resolve it by ticking Virtual Machine -> Settings -> Disable Side Channel Mitigations. Also I switched the network adaptor to Bridged.

0 Kudos
PersistentAgent
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me too! The only minor thing to add is that to disable side-channel mitigations I went to:

Virtual Machine -> Settings -> Advanced -> Disable Side Channel Mitigations

I also had to switch my network adapter to Bridged and it now works! Thank you Ketokun! 

Virtual Machine -> Network Adapter -> Bridged 

0 Kudos
bzdura
Contributor
Contributor

This solution doesn't work for me - still got the same problem when in Bridged mode - ping is working but websites are not - they are halfway loaded without graphics, some of them with ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

Im wondering why VMware is not trying to solve this problem

fabioz23
Contributor
Contributor

i've the same problem.

tried to downgrade Fusion to 12.0 with no changes. Still problems when Win10 VM had network bridged with Macbook Pro wifi interface.

If i switch to NAT mode OR bridged on Ethernet USB-C interface no issues at all.

0 Kudos
tm1664
Contributor
Contributor

+1 this needs to be fixed. I have an Ubuntu guest where bridged works just fine over WiFi, so it's not my network.

0 Kudos
ahmadegb
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, how you changed the NAT, I searched a lot but didn't find such option in vmware.

0 Kudos
ahmadegb
Contributor
Contributor

This doesn't work any more, at least with ubuntu 14.0.4

0 Kudos
marcelofares
Contributor
Contributor

Hello
I have the same problem. My BIGSUR is in version 11.2.3 and I can not, in any way, connect my virtual machines to a NAT adapter. This message appears below:

Captura de Tela 2021-03-19 às 10.12.23.png

I have VM FUSION 12.1.0 (17195230)
In the past, I used HIGH SIERRA with these same virtual machines, and everything worked perfectly.

Does anyone have any tips?

0 Kudos
vpert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there,
I'm tired of waiting for VMware to finally fix this bug; I switched to Parallels.
VMware doesn't really seem to be interested in virtualization solutions on clients anymore; a shame really. But maybe it's time to discontinue Fusion and Workstation.
I for one have decided and replaced Fusion and Workstation with Parallels as written. Works, runs and is stable.

VmareJohn
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

I experienced a similar problem recently... except that on top of NAT not working for my VM, Fusion 12 also "breaks" the internet connection on my Mac. 

After a little troubleshooting it appears that if I have any VM with NAT, Fusion randomly deletes my default route (IPv4 or IPv6).

Maybe it is very specific to my setup... but I don't think I have a very unusual Mac setup.

Very disappointed also with not only Fusion but the lack of support and response from VMware.

My post is here:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Big-Sur-OS-Networking-stops-working-when...

The work around for me was to convert *ALL* my VM to bridge - Autodetect (and not Bridge - Wifi). 

0 Kudos
kevinturner1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks this resolved my problem, well worked out.

0 Kudos
marcelofares
Contributor
Contributor

What is the solution?

0 Kudos
brianmoon
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you @redhatter9 and everyone else for the great work in resolving this.  The solution that worked for me is the following:

1. Disable side channel mitigations (Virtual Machine -> Settings -> Advanced -> Disable Side Channel Mitigations)

2. Add the following to /etc/pf.conf:

3. Reload pf:

sudo pfctl -d
sudo pfctl -e -f /etc/pf.conf

I was also able to keep the network adapter using NAT rather than switching to a bridged connection.

For reference, here's what my /etc/pf.conf file looks like:

#
# com.apple anchor point
#
nat-anchor "com.apple/*"
rdr-anchor "com.apple/*"
anchor "com.apple/*"

This also works just fine with the Cisco AnyConnect Client (version 4.9.05042).

vpert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I finally solved this issue also:

uninstall VMware Fushion

install Parallels Desktop

sorry for not providing a other solution; but Parallels was able to bring up a solution for Apple having changing their network stack.

0 Kudos
lanceasbury9924
Contributor
Contributor

So both NAT and Bridged have been broken for months and VMWare has not done anything to resolve these issues. I've since switched to VirtualBox which has no problems so far with networking.

0 Kudos