VMware Communities
om3rx
Contributor
Contributor

macOS Big Sur Fusion 12 NAT no internet connection

Hi,

Running latest macOS Big Sur with Fusion 12. Nothing changed in my virtual machine Windows 10 however internet connection is not working

173 Replies
cafarmer
Contributor
Contributor

So the other day, I was asked to check something on the corporate network with my MacBook Pro.  I had since deleted Cisco AnyConnect and I had to re-install it.  I installed the latest version, 4.10.02086 and launched it to connect to the corporate network, fully expecting I would have to reboot my guests in order to get internet working on them again... but that did not happen.  Everything was working as it did before!  Maybe I am counting my chickens before they are hatched, but Internet worked in the guest and corporate access worked in the guest (I made sure the guest did not have a VPN connection).  So in the event this was corrected somehow, I will post the version numbers of the critical components.

1. Cisco AnyConnect 4.10.02086

2. macOS Big Sur 11.6

3. VMware Fusion Professional Version 12.1.2 (17964953)

HTH,

-Chris

0 Kudos
HKeleher
Contributor
Contributor

Would it be possible for you to provide your version of AnyConnect? I'm no longer able to download them.

Edit: Nevermind, I was able to on another computer.

0 Kudos
HKeleher
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately this didn't work. In fact, I completely removed AnyConnect and I'm still not able to connect and use any network adapters with any configuration.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Fix for this is shipping tomorrow

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
HKeleher
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the update! I assume we'll be able to find and apply the update sometime tomorrow?

Any details on what the fix entails? I was able to get this to work on a personal Mac but still having issues on my work Mac.

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can now download the update, but the release notes link is broken or not yet deployed.

0 Kudos
Sir_W
Contributor
Contributor

I was puzzled at first because Check Updates still reports that Version 12.1.2 is the newest version. However, you can download version 12.2.0 from here https://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/fusion-evaluation.html 

0 Kudos
HKeleher
Contributor
Contributor

The update hasn't fixed anything for me, in fact, it broke the work around I had in place. Although, I suspect the issue might be related to a policy control application my company deployed. Still working through this...

alpineskier56
Contributor
Contributor

This worked great for me. Installed, changed network settings back to NAT and all worked. 

0 Kudos
gsulshski
Contributor
Contributor

It has been a frustrating mixed bag going to 12.2.0

I downloaded 12.2.0

1) changed the VM to NAT and then shutdown with 12.1.2 (or whatever the previous latest version

2) installed 12.2.0 and when I executed it stated that I should/will upgrade my VM

3) I did the boot up and I had to reboot (if I remember right it was related to the VMware tools)

4) I doubled checked that I was in NAT and turned on my Cisco Mac VPN

5) I saw no internet connection  with NAT, Bridge, my static ip work around (with or without the Cisco MAC VPN)

6) I thought that maybe my VMware tools wasn't right (font too small, etc) so I exited and then rebooted

7) After that reboot,  I was able to work in NAT with my Cisco Mac VPN like it should be!   with normal internet and intranet

So I thought, before I post that it is working for me ,  I decided to reboot.

After that reboot,  I haven't been able to get any mode to work..    Not bridged, NAT, static IP w or w/o Cisco Mac VPN

I suspect there is some incantation that will get this to work..but at least for now I don't know how to consistently get it to work.

0 Kudos
wd123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can confirm that as of Fusion 12.2.0, NAT is working in VMs for me even when the host already has a process listening on the DNS port.

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 1.26.47 PM.png

0 Kudos
gsulshski
Contributor
Contributor

I spent some time and ran windows diagnostics and it found that I didn't have DNS enabled.

I applied the fix recommended and everything is running fine with 12.2 with NAT and with Cisco mac VPN.

0 Kudos
JipCoanda
Contributor
Contributor

I installed version 12.2.0, but it doesn't solve the issue on all Wifi networks. I have tested it in the following cases:

• The screenshot in the attachment shows the error when I try to connect the network adapter with the option "Share with my Mac". The option "Bridge Networking: Wi-Fi" works, but then there is no internet in macOS and only in the virtual machines. These versions/equipement is in use:
    • Unify UAP-AC-Pro access point with software version 5.43.46.12754
    • macOS Big Sur 11.5.2
  • In Hotels or other public places it is most of the time possible to use the option "Share with my Mac"
  1. Why does the connection depend on the Wifi network?
  2. Is it possible to change the settings of the Unify access point, so it works?
  3. Where is vmware.log file located?
0 Kudos
taue2512
Contributor
Contributor

I had similar issues when I updated my VMware FUSION 11 to VmWare FUSION 12 on MacOS 12 Monterey.
With VMware 11 on MacOS Monterey, everything worked fine. As soon as I updated to VMware FUSION 12, NAT for all my virtual machines (Windows 10 x64, Kali Linux, ...) was broken and internet access disrupted.

Even changing to "Bridged Mode" or setting the DNS while remaining in NAT on the guest to 8.8.8.8 was not very helpful, as it was unstable und quite slow.

After reboot, I've launched MacOS terminal window to enter the following command:

sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist && sudo killall -9 configd

Then, I have started VMware 12 FUSION with all the previously non-working VMs ... switched back to NAT network mode and it worked like a charm!

0 Kudos