VMware Communities
om3rx
Contributor
Contributor

macOS Big Sur Fusion 12 NAT no internet connection

Hi,

Running latest macOS Big Sur with Fusion 12. Nothing changed in my virtual machine Windows 10 however internet connection is not working

173 Replies
umbertoz
Contributor
Contributor

I Got the same issue with "Custom Networks". Only two hosts at time can be reachable via ping, ssh, the third one is isolated from the other and from the macOS.

0 Kudos
Ccalifan
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
jkinder
Contributor
Contributor

Well **bleep** I should have checked the release notes before upgrading Fusion. I was on 12.1.1 and none of my slightly older VMs would get an IP with Bridged or NAT network connection, but my current VM was working so I thought that it was something with the old VMs. So I upgraded to 12.1.2 and then saw the release notes about not getting an IP if you are connected to a VPN. That's such bullocks. What the heck did they have to change to break the product even more?

Now I need to try and get the prior version from VMware and hopefully get back to a working state and then figure out what the other problem was again. Ugh! This is so frustrating.

0 Kudos
TOTALLY_A_HUMAN
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to get NAT internet connectivity working by creating a new virtual network and setting a static IP in my VM.

VMware Fusion -> Preferences -> Network

Unlock the padlock at the bottom and click the + button to create a new vmnet

On the newly created vmnet check the box next to "Allow virtual machines ... (using NAT)" option. Then type in a subnet IP and mask, for instance I used 192.168.30.0 (Subnet IP) and 255.255.255.0 (Subnet Mask).  Then click Apply.

On the VM go to Virtual Machine -> Network Adapter -> Network Adapter Settings -> check the dot next to the newly created vmnet.

Inside your Windows VM open the Network Properties and configure a static IP address on the same subnet that you configured above in the vmnet settings, for instance I used 192.168.30.10 (IP), 255.255.255.0 (Mask), 192.168.30.1 (Gateway), 1.1.1.1 (DNS).

After that my VM was able to reach the internet.  Previously I had the same issue, Win10 VM working fine in Catalina and NAT no longer working in Big Sur.  Making this change fixed it.  It does indeed look like the issue is with BigSur not being able to provide a DHCP address to the VM, static IPs is a workaround for now.

johnnyboi1994
Contributor
Contributor

absolutely ridiculous that it's May and this is still an issue for Big Sur Macs. I'll have to opt to ask my organization to not purchase fusion licenses for the upcoming year and look at alternatives. Running a VPN on your VM if you have it on your host is really unacceptable 

0 Kudos
marcelofares
Contributor
Contributor

That is unfortunate!
I am unfortunately using a USB WIFI adapter to use the internet from my virtual machine.

0 Kudos
TwistedFab
Contributor
Contributor

Why has this not been fixed.

I just upgraded to Fusion 12 a couple of months ago and it worked fine.  

Now I have no internet which has made this product useless.

tlessard
Contributor
Contributor

After going round and round with support for 6 months (who continue to blame it on the Cisco Anyconnect Client), I finally copied off my VMs and reloaded Catalina. Fusion 12 current version still works fine on OS 10.15. All I have to do is VPN my host and use the shared connection on the VM in Fusion, just like I have with every version of Mac OS prior to Big Sir and Fusion 12. Other issues I noticed on Big Sur were that my VMs would fail on internet file downloads and I'd have to continuously resume the download. Bottom line, Big Sur with Fusion is hot garbage. I'll stick with Catalina until I finally see a real resolution. Good luck everyone!    

0 Kudos
Egonj
Contributor
Contributor

So, where as: 

1. Fusion won't run Intel VMs on Apple Silicon (And doesn't look as if it ever will, or are Parallels or VirtualBox planning on making that work)
  2. We won't see another Intel Mac

I have build another machine, that's basically running VMWare Workstation 16 in Windows 10 and I'm just using Remote Desktop on my Mac to remote into the Virtual Machines. 

Problem Solved

0 Kudos
TwistedFab
Contributor
Contributor

When I installed this a couple of months ago on Big Sur it worked fine.

The issues must have started when I did a Big Sur update.  Now no internet.

fix2k5
Contributor
Contributor

I had this no internet problem for a while and in recent cisco anyconnect client update i started having issues also when using my iphone as router. I removed cisco client from my mac and after that iphone issue as well as vmware no internet problem was gone.

I think something about cisco was mentioned in vmware release notes, but somehow i didnt pay attention to that and didnt try removing it.

Internet is back in my vm client machines and im simply running windows version of cisco now. Of course, would be easier to run it locally, but this works as well.

0 Kudos
achadaya
Contributor
Contributor

could you let us know where have you changed the DNS ?

0 Kudos
thuybuiw
Contributor
Contributor

Change DNS to 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 works for me, thank you. how to change: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-your-pcs-dns-settings-windows-10

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
muchamp
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue, but finally managed to resolve the internet connection issue. 

Just go to windows system settings/network adapter, change internet sharing to Bridged networking /Autodetect will do. Hope this works for you! Cheers

Screenshot 2021-08-03 at 12.32.03 PM.png

alpineskier56
Contributor
Contributor

This does provide me internet access, just no access to any apps that need VPN

0 Kudos
wingi
Contributor
Contributor

I just upgraded my system and this is a really an issue and needs to be solved asap. It is not possible to use VPN inside the VM, as I need my fixed VPN IP inside and outside of the VM at the same time and of course can not connect twice.

Please fix this.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
J-N
Contributor
Contributor

NAT on VMware Fusion under macOS Big Sur does not works if MacOS Internet Sharing is on. 

0 Kudos
ErikH2
Contributor
Contributor

For me the Connect Network adapter was unchecked! When I checked that box the network in my VM started to work

0 Kudos
MaverickAdmin
Contributor
Contributor

That's not the problem...

The issue is that NAT'ing doesnt work with Big Sur and Fusion 12.

0 Kudos
Victoria9
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know if this will help anyone, but from the top menu, I went to Virtual Machine to settings to network adapter and saw that "Share With My Mac" was not selected. After selecting that, I have internet connection once again after months of not having it. Also, I have the non-Pro version of VMware 12 and am running current Big Sur.

0 Kudos