VMware Communities
om3rx
Contributor
Contributor

macOS Big Sur Fusion 12 NAT no internet connection

Hi,

Running latest macOS Big Sur with Fusion 12. Nothing changed in my virtual machine Windows 10 however internet connection is not working

173 Replies
michaelw1998
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having this issue since Big Sur and vmware Fusion 12. Hopefully vmware will fix this soon as Parallels seems to be working fine in the latest versions.

So NAT doesn't work. I even tried the sudo kill all command. The other option to share the connection seems to work but is very slow and unreliable, so that's not what I want.

0 Kudos
ansond
Contributor
Contributor

Ditto here... in fact, all networking in my just purchased Fusion 12 instance on my Big Sur mac do not seem to work... all of my VMs are disconnected. 

nakca
Contributor
Contributor

is there any solution ? I do not want to downgrade OSX because of this "BUG".

nakca
Contributor
Contributor

Just I changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8 all virtual machines now NAT works fine. This is really miserable BUG for VMWARE.

Switchfoot
Contributor
Contributor

It appears that the DNS subsystem is borked. It doesn't work properly either in NAT or Bridged. Everything else seems to work, but you have to resort to manually setting a working DNS server for it to resolve any names. This is unquestionably a bug, but I'm not sure if anyone from VMware can chime in if they are aware of the issue.

0 Kudos
rob59
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem for me: DNS auto configuration by DHCP doesn't work on NAT.  The workaround is manual setting (e.g.: 8.8.8.8).

It seems working on bridged connections.

Hope that somebody from Vmware chimes in...

michaelw1998
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to manually set DNS in the VM (Windows) but that still doesn't work, the machine thinks it has internet but when trying to ping google from command prompt doesn't work and browsing in the browser doesn't work too.

Can't find an option to set DNS for NAT at the Fusion network adapter settings.

0 Kudos
ansond
Contributor
Contributor

yep... that didn't work for me either...

I did create a brand new VM and low and behold - that new VM works.... interesting

So, my hypothesis is that the Fusion12  "VM upgrader" botches up the existing VMs configuration/binding to the underlying networking support. 

I am now trying to "diff" my working (new) VM's vmx config file against the broken (existing) VM's vmx file to look for differences. 

Doug

0 Kudos
sachinp27
Contributor
Contributor

After shutting down guest and then host system and restarting helped At one point.

I was able to connect to internet with NAT but I lost connectivity as soon as I hopped on to VPN.

Disconnected VPN and still no internet connectivity from VM.

millap
Contributor
Contributor

Similar issues here with Win10 VM on Big Sur. Bridged works, NAT doesn't. Static DNS fix mentioned before doesn't work either. 

All worked flawlessly on Catalina and Fusion 11. The Fusion DHCP service is borked on v12. 

Also hoping someone at VMWare is going to chime-in. 

0 Kudos
om3rx
Contributor
Contributor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA92mMv8bTA maybe it's a problem with Cisco AnyConnect..

I have a personal MacBook Pro Big Sur with Fusion 12. My Windows 10 vm had no issue with NAT.. I can access internet. However I don't use Cisco AnyConnect for my personal device..

On my company MacBook Pro Big Sur with Fusion 12. My Windows 10 vm NAT I have internet access but can't connect to company network. Big Sur has Cisco Anyconnect running and connected..

cafarmer
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem... I posted this on the Cisco community forum

MacOS 11.0.1 (Big Sur) Breaks VMWare Fusion 12 NAT

After my system upgraded to MacOS 11.0.1 (Big Sur), VMWare Fusion 12 guests could no longer get to the internet after a VPN session had been established on the host (for example, a Windows 7/8/10 guest hosted on my MacOS 11.0.1 machine).  The guest can get to the internet via NAT, but once a VPN session is established on the host (MacOS 11.0.1), it cannot.  Even after disconnecting the VPN on the host, the guest still cannot get to the internet (or anything for that matter) until and only until I shutdown the guest, close VMWare and restart the guest (without the VPN being established of course).  I did try to only restart the guest OS - that was not good enough.  I had to close VMWare and re-start it.

So far, nothing has fixed this... but I can flush the route table (and turn off and on the WiFi) on the host (Big Sur) after AnyConnect is disconnected and my guest can then get to the internet again...

-Chris

0 Kudos
whirlwinds
Contributor
Contributor

Same. Tried spinning up a new VM with Fusion 12 and the NAT does not function.

0 Kudos
ansond
Contributor
Contributor

A bit more info - I installed Fusion 12 on a Catalina Mac... initially everything looked like it was working just fine... VMs worked and were connected.

Then I discovered that this install (vs the Big Sur one...) did NOT try to automatically upgrade my VMs' to v18 like what I saw with Big Sur...

So... on my Catalina box, I shut down one of the VM's, then tried to upgrade it to 18... it failed... then it hung my Fusion instance. 

I think this Fusion 12 release is terribly buggy... It may be time for me to move to Parallels. 

VMware support?  Any thoughts on this?  You've got a very buggy release. 

Doug

0 Kudos
ErikO_653
Contributor
Contributor

For me NAT works as before. But I use a lot of different VPN:s. I'm running Linux and Win10 in virtual machines. 

For me:

1. FortiClient VPN Works in both Big Sur and in guest OS Linux/Windows over NAT.

2. OpenVPN (Tunnelblick connections) works in Big Sur but not in Linux/Windows over NAT. All internet traffic to virtual machines also stopps as soon as I connect VPN. Disconnecting VPN returns internet access. 

3. Cisco AnyConnect, same as OpenVPN. 

If connect to Forticlient VPN and Open VPN at the same time. Forticlient network resources still works in the virtual machines, Open VPN does not. Though internet access is working. It's not possible to run AnyConnect simultaneously with other VPN's (at least not for me). 

This all worked before upgrading to Big Sur using Fusion 12. I know this for a fact as I work like this every day, client resources on OpenVPN and source control servers on Forticlient VPN. Right now I can not work since access to customers DBs are gone in my work VM's.

0 Kudos
snobis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The reason seems to be explained here: Thread "Big Sur hosts with Fusion". Main point: Fusion is no longer able to provide its own DHCP server and the Apple server has only few configuration possibilities (and there may be some more bugs).

Possible workaround: Configure IP manually inside the guest instead of using DHCP.

0 Kudos
michaelw1998
Contributor
Contributor

I tried multiple things to set the IP manually but I can't get it to work. The network icon shows it has connection but pinging Google or any other website results in a timeout, it still doesn't work.

Can anyone who has got it to work post the full IP config (IP address, subnet, gateway and DNS IP)?

0 Kudos
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi ansond,

For the issue of upgrading VM to hardware version 18, the prompt for upgrading VM will pop up on your next power-on. If the prompt does not show up, you can shutdown the VM first, and the upgrade the VM via Settings->Compatibility. 

0 Kudos
AdiogoA
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem. I updated my macOs from catalina to big sur and then vmware fusion to 12. However when I started up my VMs the internet connection does not work in none of them. Any solutions? Is it a bug from vmware? If so, when a fix?

Thank you!