VMware Communities
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

macOS 13 Ventura VM (Intel)

It installs just fine (new VM); but when it gets into the setup assistant, it constantly reboots after some seconds (the time can vary: setup loads, but then crashes): perhaps some form of graphics problem...?

25 Replies
JustamereUsernm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I could not make a clean install work no matter what I did, so I tried an upgrade (again).

I changed no settings at first. Then, I was caught in an endless, repeating restart until I adjusted the ethernet thing:

ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3"

Now, I have a functional Ventura beta 3 install.

0 Kudos
Piipperi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, but I am still using the same eGPU. It's possible that VMware Fusion with Apple GPU doesn't properly work with eGPUs, as much as I want to say other virtualization software work no problem, I know VMware has other things to focus on rather than fixing a feature not many actually would even use. I was able to use SVGA mode fine for years as well, but it Kernel Panics Ventura, so it can't really be used at this point in time.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The eGPU and CPU are different.  What is the host hardware?  If it's not supported by Ventura, then Fusion likely won't work.

As far as eGPU support goes, that's highly OS dependent, no surprise that doesn't work yet.

0 Kudos
JustamereUsernm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Since this thread is sufficiently hijacked, let me ask this...

Venture b3 is painfully slow. I'm running fusion on a pure SSD system with 64GB RAM. Ventura has 8GB and 2 processors, which has always been fine for other macOS VMs.

Any tips on speeding up Ventura?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I suspect Ventura has much heaver requirements given the machines that dropped off.  Try running at full N-1 physical cores and see if that helps.

Of course, having real support in Fusion is probably part of the issue

0 Kudos
gilby101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

JustamereUsernm, I am surprised at how good the performance is for a Ventura VM.  My vm has 4 cores and 6 GB RAM on a 2019 iMac.  Some apps can be bit slow starting up (particularly Safari) but otherwise very good.  CPU load is minimal unless I stress it.  And I do expect a beta to be a bit slower than the final release (debugging code, etc.)  I don't think there are any hidden tricks - biggest variable is host GPU and client graphics settings.  And, of course, it won't run well (if at all) on hosts which will not be supported for Ventura.

What is your host and have you set graphics as in my first post of this thread?

0 Kudos