VMware Communities
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

macOS 13 Ventura VM (Intel)

It installs just fine (new VM); but when it gets into the setup assistant, it constantly reboots after some seconds (the time can vary: setup loads, but then crashes): perhaps some form of graphics problem...?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gilby101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you make any changes to the config. At some point you will probably want to add 

svga.present="FALSE"
appleGPU0.present="TRUE"

and make sure you are using

ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3"

I have Ventura installed, with VM Tools, and now running full screen. 

I used this old Monterey beta guide to keep me on track: https://blog.eucse.com/how-to-run-macos-monterey-12-beta-in-vmware-fusion/

View solution in original post

25 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

With every new MacOS release, VMWare has to update Fusion to support it (sometimes multiple times).  It's unclear if they'll update Fusion 12 or will build support into a new version.  They've hinted at something coming this month, so hopefully soon, but it may be some time.  And keep in mind that Apple likes to slipstream things into later betas that also break Fusion, so definitely don't rely on it for production use until both Ventura and Fusion are actually released (i.e. don't put it on your only host).

0 Kudos
albatros99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

you must known that osx 13 is a beta and only a developper version!

Public beta for all users that will test this will be available in one or two weeks.

The release version is coming later, i think september!

Give Vmware the time to test the developer version and make the necessary changes!

Many people wait of a fusion version for m1-, now m2-processors! Since more than 1 year only preview version!

0 Kudos
gilby101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you make any changes to the config. At some point you will probably want to add 

svga.present="FALSE"
appleGPU0.present="TRUE"

and make sure you are using

ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3"

I have Ventura installed, with VM Tools, and now running full screen. 

I used this old Monterey beta guide to keep me on track: https://blog.eucse.com/how-to-run-macos-monterey-12-beta-in-vmware-fusion/

SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I installed Ventura in the latest Fusion in a new VM, after having created the install media with Parallels (which, BTW, has the exactly same issue with the setup assistant). Did you perhaps upgrade from a previous Monterey VM…? That’s probably the way to go, for now. Let’s see if the guide in the link will be updated to macOS 13…

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

… And yes, I changed the network to vmxnet3. I’ll try to add the experimental Apple GPU lines.

0 Kudos
gilby101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I did a clean install, not an upgrade. Used a bootable ISO, built as in the link I gave before.

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Nuntio vobis gaudium magnum: habemus Venturam! 🙂

The Apple GPU settings - even if still rather unstable at boot (and with this enabled, a strange message about reducing the number of virtual processor cores to only one appears, at every boot, even if the Ventura VM has the default number for macOS VMs), and often also with a very annoying screen flickering and other graphic glitches - seemed to “stabilize” the setup assistant: and after some attempts, it was possible to proceed with the setup, which finally completed, even if slowly. I also managed to install the VMware Tools (but no Retina resolutions available, only the maximum for the screen). That said, there are lots of glitches, of course: neither Fusion nor Parallels are ready for Ventura, yet (which is also obvious, as it’s new and still in an early beta stage). Thanks for all your suggestions… 🙂

0 Kudos
gilby101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I should have mentioned the strange message about number of cores. Most annoying as boot does proceed without user interaction.  I can put up with the coloured screen flickering at startup as I have it running full screen and that is in another space - just wait for a few minutes.

What is most surprising is that we can actually get Beta 1 running in a VM without further assistance from VMware!

0 Kudos
gilby101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

PS. Great bit of Latin. I did scrape a pass in my O-level, but it was long ago!

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

… After some more experiments with Ventura beta 2 (imported from Parallels, after uninstalling their Tools), actually the VMware Tools seem to work also for Retina resolutions; even if I had to disable the experimental Metal AppleGPU, as it is too unstable on my test machine (which only supports Metal 1: maybe this could be the cause, who knows…): sadly, still with flickering, randomly invisible Menu Bar and Dock, artifacts, etc. - while the “traditional” SVGA still works, albeit without transparency effects…

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

That message is odd, because MacOS won't boot with less than 2.  Interesting

0 Kudos
Piipperi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm facing the exact same issue where the VM just crashes at setup assistant, more specificly at the point where you choose the region. I have tried adding the Apple GPU but either it gives me a black screen, or an empty loading bar without an Apple logo and VM basically being halted (logs also show SATA going to sleep)

0 Kudos
gilby101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am assuming you have set the ethernet adapter and played with video settings.

What is the model of your host Mac? If it is not supported by Apple for Ventura, you are likely to have problems with Ventura in a virtual machine - from reduced/unusable graphics to crashing early.

0 Kudos
JustamereUsernm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have tried these suggestions, as well as many combinations of others, but my Ventura beta 3 will not progress past the Recovery window (see attached)

I can select "Install macOS Ventura beta", click Continue, but I never progress to the next screen which should be to select an install location (I even waited 12 hours, just to be sure it wasn't thinking about something).

I've also tried entering Disk Utility, first, and formatting the vm hard drive (as was suggested in posts on other sites), and then performing the above, but the results are the same.

Any tips? I'm curious to try out the new Reminders and Notes features. Also, I want to see if some of the Share Sheet bugs have been worked out.

2022-07-14-707 Clipboard.png

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I cloned my Monterey Public Beta and then upgraded the clone with the Ventura Public Beta.  Crashed all the time until I switched to the Apple GPU.  I am curious about this though long term as my experience has been that I needed to be on SVGA to do version updates then switch back to Apple GPU after the update.  It appears at least for now that SVGA does not work in Ventura?

0 Kudos
gilby101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When I installed Beta 1 (clean install from bootable iso) I needed SVGA for first steps, but since then:

svga.present="FALSE"
appleGPU0.present="TRUE"

works all the time.  And "all the time" includes updating to beta2 and beta 3.  I have not needed to touch my vmx file since the initial install.

0 Kudos
Piipperi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Am I like the only one whose Apple GPU doesn't work? I have never been able to get it to work with VMware, i wrote a post about it already nearly a year ago and I still can't get Apple GPU to work on my system. And SVGA crashes on me all the time as well

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The Apple GPU has was always early access/beta/experimental, and has a lot of known issues.  It's also highly dependent on what particular GPU you have in your machine, and the very specific OS version.

0 Kudos
gilby101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Piipperi, Are you using the same Haswell processor MBP that you were using a year ago?  If so, it is not supported for Ventura and the "get Ventura running on old Macs" experts have doubts (see MacRumors discussion) about getting Haswell to work with Ventura. Nor was Haswell supported for Monterey, but the obstacles can be overcome.

0 Kudos