VMware Communities
AlessandroDN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

macOS 13 VM Hangs/Crashes on Fusion 13 when using e1000e Network Adapter

Hi all,

great to finally have Fusion 13 with us.

I run Fusion 13 on a macOS 13 Intel host.

I have a macOS 13 guest that was running fine with Fusion 12: the only issue I had was to set vmxnet3 as network interface to have network running properly.

Now, I updated to Fusion 13, updated the VMware tools within the guest, and have the following behavior:

- if the network interface is set to vmxnet3 the VM runs fine and stable, even with Paravirt video enabled

- if the network interface is set to e1000e (the default when creating a VM for macOS 13) the VM hangs during boot and/or crashes right after boot.

I tried also upgrading virtual HW to the latest version 20 with no success.

I also created a new macOS 13 VM, and it comes with the e1000e network adapter by default.

What's the preferred network interface to use with Mac guests?

Any hint is more than welcome.

Please find attached vmx, and both the logs for the e1000e network adapter and the one with vmxnext.

10 Replies
joshiga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is kind of expected in this release, it will be fixed in future release. 

Right now e1000e is coming as default.  vmxnet3  will fix the issues related to crash of Ventura Guest VM. 

• Replace “e1000e” with “vmxnet3”.  in vmx file

ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3"

And Ventura Guest should work fine.

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Ventura removed a lot of "legacy" macOS drivers that are not present in Mac hardware supported by Ventura. e1000e network cards may very well be one of them.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If this was expected...then why if I create a Ventura guest from scratch doesn't the VMX start with vmxnet3 then?!?  I did get Ventura guests running tonight.  I found the vmext3 was needed right after the first save of the vmx file, but setup would hang if AppleGPU was enabled.  So at the first stopping point after setup completes I shut down and edit the vmx again to get AppleGPU then keep going.  So when does AppleGPU become something you can get by checking the 3D box in Display?

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Unlikely - afaik we won't see 3d acceleration for MacOS guests any time soon - it's never been an actual production feature, and the experimental version broke a few MacOS versions back when Apple changed the plumbing.

0 Kudos
AlessandroDN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@ColoradoMarmot wrote:

the experimental version broke a few MacOS versions back when Apple changed the plumbing.

What do you mean? I use AppleGPU on both Monterey and Ventura (since the early betas) and it's pretty stable (until now🤞)

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

interesting, I thought that they'd stopped work on it after the big sur break (which is when I switched to M1, making it all moot).  Good to know though

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Actually I agree they stopped working on it, or at least it seems that way.  One "improvement" is that I can do major OS updates with AppleGPU in Ventura.  With Big Sur and Monterey I had to switch to SVGA so the VM would hang after the update reboot, then switch back to AppleGPU when the update completed.  But was that because VMware fixed something or because Apple fixed something?

0 Kudos
AlessandroDN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@gringley I can do OS updates also with Monterey (and Ventura as you reported).

Big Sur was always buggy, not just regarding AppleGPU.

Under Ventura, the only issue I have is with the menu bar, which doesn't show the text (the menu actually works fine).

I reported the issue back to Apple as it seems it's more on their side (I remember @Mikero saying in one of the threads that VMware publishes the information to macOS, and then Apple does all the job).

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

With this weeks updates, I could do Ventura and Monterey on Apple GPU, but not Big Sur.  I am seeing that one of my Big Sur guests can no longer update at all.

0 Kudos
AlessandroDN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was able to update my Big Sur VM, though I had to temporarily disable the Apple Paravirtual GPU adapter.

0 Kudos