VMware Communities
matsuda0707
Contributor
Contributor

macOS 12 (monterey) does not work on Vmware fusion (mac) and Vmware player.

I tried to install macOS 12 (Moonterey) on Vmware fusion 12(mac)  and also on Vmware player 16 (PC).

I upgraded Big Sur 14.x to Monterey, and the updating process went well. After completing the update, Monerey started up normally. But the network connection of Monterey does not work, no connection! This occured also on the Vmplayer on Windows.

Please report the same or similar report for this Monterey problem.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Note that you cannot discuss running MacOS on non-Apple hardware (such as a Windows PC running VMware Workstation) here on VMTN.

Why is that? Because it's a EULA violation.

Note also that VMTN is a user community forum, not a formal support channel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
billearl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same experience here with a macOS Monterey VM on VMware Fusion, so it's useless. My best guess right now is that we need to wait until VMware creates a "macOS 12.0" OS setting in Settings >> General. Not holding my breath, but a workaround would be nice.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Read down a few threads in the forum.  There are workarounds.

Edit: For fusion.  There is no workaround for running on non-apple hardware.

0 Kudos
matsuda0707
Contributor
Contributor

Where is a few threads in the forum? But you say non-apple hardware!

0 Kudos
billearl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, dlhotka. This might help matsuda0707 and me:

https://blog.eucse.com/how-to-run-macos-monterey-12-beta-in-vmware-fusion/

I'm just checking it out now, and will start by changing

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000e"

to

ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3"

0 Kudos
billearl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wow, that worked like magic. Thanks again, dlhotka.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I'm just the messenger - @mroy is the guru :-).  Pretty darn cool that it works though....I'll have to play with it myself when I get a chance.

0 Kudos
matsuda0707
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

Great! Both Vmwares Montereys works well.

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The public beta also required the change to vmxnet3.  What is up with that?!?

0 Kudos
Steven_Michaud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For what it's worth, I just installed Monterey (macOS 12) Beta 5 as an update to Big Sur (macOS 11.4) in a VMware VM. I had no problems, and didn't need to change any settings (low level or otherwise).

Here are some details about my setup: I'm running VMware Fusion 12.1.2 on a macOS 10.15.7 (build 19H1323) host. I'm using Bridged Networking on Ethernet 1 (set explicitly). My VM uses 8192 MB of RAM and 4 processor cores. I installed VMWare Tools on macOS 11.4 before the upgrade.

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Today I was troubleshooting the WiFi bridging issue and had horrible performance SFTP from the Monterey Beta guest back to the host.  I switched back to e1000e and the performance issue went away. This in turn means that vmxnet3 is somehow broken in the Monterey guest and tools 11.3.5 I guess?

0 Kudos
ClemHarvey
Contributor
Contributor

If you have chosen NAT or bridge connection between the host in the virtual machine, but both of them will not work, then it seems you need to modify the VMX config file discussed in this post

0 Kudos