VMware Communities
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

macOS 10.14 Mojave Developer Preview/Beta guest...

... Just to say that it works surprisingly well, in Fusion 10.1.2 (and probably also in 8.5.10): it's also rather snappy (on a 2013 MacBook Pro); and HiDPI works out of the box, after installing the Tools.

Only one major glitch: some persistent visual artifacts in the menu extras, in the Finder tabs and in Dashboard, both in normal and dark mode...

29 Replies
below
Contributor
Contributor

My Mojave image no longer starts after installing the VMWare Tools. Did you install them?

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

Yes, i installed the VMware Tools in the 10.14 guest; of course, you must also accept all the VMware extensions, in the Privacy and Security preference pane, every time it asks for it (IIRC, 2 or 3 times)...

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

No issues with Tools that I've seen in my testing either. It works as we would expect, given the limitations of not having 3D hardware accel.

We are seeing those weird graphics stuff during the installation, we're investigating.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
DaveP
Commander
Commander

Exactly the same happened to me. Boot stalls when setting graphics mode after VMware tools installed.

0 Kudos
te317
Contributor
Contributor

For some reason when I try to create a new VM using "Install macOS 10.14 Beta.app" on my late-2014 5k Retina iMac (running latest High Sierra) it fails with a "Unable to create the installation medium." error right after saving the .vmx file before the installation is attempted.  I also tried to install the `InstallESD.dmg` file inside the .app bundle but that didn't work either.

Did you get it to work by upgrading an existing 10.13 installation or did you somehow install a fresh copy on Fusion 10.1.2?

I realize 10.14 beta is not officially supported by Fusion yet... but was just curious since some of you got it to work anyway.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Try re-installing Fusion, I had to do that on both my iMacs for some reason.

-
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

A fresh copy...

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

... BTW, a feature request regarding the macOS VMware Tools: would it be possible to avoid recreating the alias to the Shared Folders on the Desktop, when (as in my case) the option to show network drives on the Desktop is set...? It’s rather annoying having to delete the newly recreated alias, every time that the VM is resumed. Should be a rather trivial thing to accomplish (check for a Finder setting?)...

EMR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've just installed the macOS Mojave beta on Fusion 10.1.2. There were odd artifacts during installation. But there's something worse than artifacts: Finder is unstable (trying to open a Finder window says "The application 'Finder' can't be opened". The mouse pointer doesn't even appear sometimes, and it seems I can't install VMware Tools. Is there a solution?

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Not seeing that here... what hardware are you on?

Does it persist in a new VM?

-
0 Kudos
EMR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2010) running High Sierra 10.13.5. I haven't tried to create a second Mojave VM, but took the precaution of taking a snapshot of my Mojave VM the first time it booted, when the macOS installer asks you to choose your language. When I saw the Finder restarted continually, I reverted to the snapshot and repeated the entire setup. The exact same thing happened.

0 Kudos
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think the issue is the Mac Pro 5,1 video card (in my case the ATI Radeon HD 5870). The same VM runs, including the Finder, in a 2013 rMBP. And in both instances Fusion is 8.5.10. The host is El Capitan.

EMR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Many thanks. That should explain it. A new Sapphire HD 7970 3GB for Mac is on its way.

0 Kudos
Hofi_One
Contributor
Contributor

How were you able to install the TOOLS, it says my OS is too new during the installation, is there a newer version somewhere to download?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Hofi_One,

In the past this error came up when the guest OS of the VM was not set to a recent one.

Eg. With the VM shut down, can you verify the guest OS as set under menu -> Virtual Machine -> Settings -> General -> OS

Set it to the latest macOS your Fusion supports, so preferably macOS 10.13

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
EMR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately, my new "Metal" GPU didn't solve the issue. The Finder never ends restarting. Naturally, installing Tools is impossible.

EDIT: I double-checked a moment ago by trashing my previous Mojave virtual machine and creating a new one with Beta 1. Same problem. Finder won't load. Perhaps Beta 2 will be better for a Mac Pro 5,1 with a Metal GPU (Sapphire 7970 HD for Mac).

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

The GPU should be irrelevant as it's not passed through to the guest OS at all.  Unless Fusion presents different virtual adapters based on core GPU, nothing should change.

I note in passing that 3d acceleration isn't supported for OSX guests at all, which can cause all sorts of strange problems.

0 Kudos
EMR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

3D acceleration has not been selected for the failed Mojave virtual machine.

Edit: The situation has become even worse with beta 2. Now the Mojave installer says "Installing macOS Mojave on this Mac requieres that all graphics cards have Metal support and that FileVault is disabled". Well, FileVault is disabled. As for Metal, my Mac Pro 5,1 has a "Metal" Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7070 3072 MB GPU, but the Fusion VM has no such thing. Is there a solution?

0 Kudos
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That's strange. I updated the Mojave beta 1 VM to beta 2 using the built in update process and now Finder works in that VM on the 2010 Mac Pro.