VMware Communities
T_Kick
Contributor
Contributor

macBook: 2 separate networks for airport and ethernetcard ?

Hi,

similar;

http://communities.vmware.com/message/811561#811561

but since it had no answer, here we go again:

I have a MacBookPro and run FUSION (Version 1.1.1 (72241)

As a guest, I've installed WXP 64-bit.

Internet through airport to the host.

The guest is to be connected to a network with static IP-adresses < no internet-connection needed/ allowed for the guest (or the rest of the network)

All I would like is for the guest to be able to communicate to the other pc's

.... and exchange the up/ downloads through the shared folders.

The windows network is available when I turn airport off.

Airport comes through an 'Airport Express' (802.11n WiFi)

As in the 'similar post' above:

Reading the whitepaper does not help .... for (mac)noobs .....

Impossible to filter out the needed info ...

So if anyone can help out, that would be great.

Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
9 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Hey maybe it me but I've read and reread your post several times in the last few hours since you posted it and I find it difficult to totally understand what you want or what you think you what.

It would probably be more helpful if you could layout the Topology of your existing Network(s) and your proposed new Network(s) and differentiate between the physical and virtual segments. Include IP Address to distinguish / differentiate existing and proposed segments, what will be tied to the WiFi Network Adapter and or to the Wired Network Adapter, etc. Are you talking about VMware Shared Folders Feature of OS Shares, etc. Is the Windows Network totally Virtual or is it mixed Physical and Virtual, etc.

No offense intended and like I said maybe it's me but what you are saying or want isn't laid out to well or is lacking some information to help see what you want clearly. Sorry! Maybe someone else can get it without the need of any additional information.

Have a look at:

0 Kudos
T_Kick
Contributor
Contributor

Hm, sorry for the confusion ...

I'll try to clarify ....

I have:

- 1 excisting network of 4 physical pc's (windows XP64)

- 1 MacBookPro OSX Leopard

And FUSION installed on this mac.

And XP64 installed under FUSION. So there's only one Virtual machine.

I would like the OSX to connect wireles to the internet.

I would like to use the Ethernet connection to connect the FUSION-guest (XP64) to the physial pc-network.

So the windows machines, both physical and virtual, are not supposed to have acces to the internet, just each other

When I download something I would like to be able to share it.

Either through VM Shard Folders or OS, doesn't matter to me.

VM shard folders works, o that's no problem.

I synchronised the IP-adresses under OSX and windows

The rest:

192.168.0.1, etc.

When I turn of Airport, I am able to connect from the guest to the physical network.

when I turn it back on, it fails.

So, I'm wondering if this is a limitation within the MacBookPro < 2 connection(types)s through one network-card might be impossible.

or is there a work around ...

hope this clarifies it somewhat .....

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Okay, yes that clarified it some but you lost it at "I synchronised the IP-adresses under OSX and windows"

Anyway what you left out is to what is the WiFi Network Adapter connecting to and what's its IP Address, etc...

Anyway Let me propose a solution with me filling in some of the blanks.

1. The WiFi Network Adapter needs to be on a separate subnet then the Windows Network otherwise the Windows Network will be able to access the Internet when the Host is connected unless you take other measures.

2. The Virtual Machine's Network will be bound to the Wired Network Adapter and the Virtual Machine's Network type will be Bridged and the IP Address of the Virtual Machine will be a Static IP Address in the separate subnet belonging to the Windows Network.

3. The Virtual Machine will be Multi-Homed, meaning 2 or more Network Adapters. One set to Bridged for the Windows Only network and the other to Host Only. The Host Only isolates the Virtual Machine and the Host allowing network connectivity between the two but the Guest can't go beyond the Host and the Host can go beyond the Guest on that Adapter unless you make further modifications like bridging the subnets. This enables you to set up Standard OS Sharing between the two for isolated File Sharing and Printing and as an alternative to VMware Shared Folders which are known to be buggy and problematic at times although YMMV.

4. The Host connecting to the Internet through WiFi on a different subnet then the Windows network thus you're not having to enable/disable it for the rest to work.

If that sound good and what you want then I'll give you the information/example how to accomplish it.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Well I was hoping you'd get back before I called it a day so I could confirm what I suggested would work for you however here is the information to help you.

By default VMware Fusion's Network is Bridged to the primary host network interface which can change over time so in order to force it to use the Wired Ethernet Adapter you will need to edit VMware Fusion's Network boot.sh script and the directions are included in the "How to tell Fusion which Host Network Adapter to use.pdf" file. In doing this then the Virtual Machine and the 4 Windows computers will now be on their own subnet. The "Network Layout.pdf" is a simplified drawing to show the relationship visually.

File Attached: Network Layout.pdf

File Attached: How to tell Fusion which Host Network Adapter to use.pdf

0 Kudos
T_Kick
Contributor
Contributor

O ... i was sure I left soething out, but didn't what until you specified ... ;-0

Like a said, bit of a noob ...

quote:

Okay, yes that clarified it some but you lost it at "I synchronised the IP-adresses under OSX and windows"

Actually the opposite of your point 4, I think.

I thought it might help to make the IP's and subnetmask the same ...

just trying in the dark, here .... but thinking of it, now, its indead excactly the opposite of what I want ...

Before, on the mac the IP and subnetmask were different.

But the guest was not able to connect to the windows network, although same ip-range and subnet.

qoute:

Anyway what you left out is to what is the WiFi Network Adapter connecting to and what's its IP Address, etc...

It's an AIrport Express with 802.11

IP 10.0.1.1

Version 7.3.1

And that is connected to a Speedtouch-network modem

IP wouldn't know, will look that up, if needed.

So from your options I would say 4 or 1 and prob in that order ?

But then gain ... option 2 sounds good as well .....

3. Sound a bit too complicated, and I wont rely heavily on filetransferring ....

So .... I'll take box nr. 4 ......

wonder what's in there ...

- btw. all the info I give here > can do no harm, being in a public place ?

And once again sorry for noobin' your morning....

thanks in advance,

T.

0 Kudos
T_Kick
Contributor
Contributor

Will try that, thanx

0 Kudos
T_Kick
Contributor
Contributor

Or you read the long story below or this short one:

After removing the second network, I had added following the instructions in the 'Network Layout.pdf', it finally worked.

So the situation is as you proposed but without the second network for the quest.

I think this was option 3 from your proposals, right ?

So now the windows network should be able to connect to the internet, but it can't.

Is this set-up a 'correct' one ?

Or are there some other issues to look into ?

Or not 'allowed' at all ?

Thanks in advance,

T

-

I used your option to: 'To force Fusion to use the Wired Ethernet, change the following'

First I added a new network to the quest.

Then went on to edit the boot.sh

The first time I followed your procedure and edited the boot.sh:

- there was only one-way traffic possible from the FUSION-guest to the windows physical network.

Changed it back

Restart FUSION/ guest

Shutdown FUSION

And for the second time I changed the boot.sh

- now there was only traffic possible from the physical to the virtual and not the other way around ......

And the third time ....

It finally worked, both ways ....

But not quite .... Smiley Wink

Here's the situation:

On the pc's and on the guest i've installed 3DstMAX.

3D program which has the nice feature to distribute rendering over the network.

This works as follows:

One starts up the manager on the managing computer (the one you work on, for example)

The manager has an IP-adress of 192.168.0.255:3234

On every other computer on the network you start up the server < the receiver of the tasks.

The servers are, by default, are set to look automatically for the manager and connect to it, and distribution of the tasks begins.

The result for the physical network is as expected and every server is connected.

The result for the virtual PC is zero. No answer from the manager.

When a manual search is done they do connect, but ....

it takes the server too long to answer and communication is lost again.

The manager keeps trying, same result every time > the server does not respond in time.

Strange thing of the above is:

Before I added the Airport I tested it, and it worked.

The set-up of that network was through the networkcard/ cable without the Airport, which I only added last week

Then it worked without any problem.

Nothing has been changed within the settings of the manager/ servers or IP-adresses.

So in the end ,after some experimenting, I found that removing the second network did the trick ....

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The Network Layout I presented was based upon what I thought were your requirements in that from what you said "The guest is to be connected to a network with static IP-adresses < no internet-connection needed/ allowed for the guest (or the rest of the network)" and binding the VMware Network Bridge to the wired ethernet adapter (en0) on one Subnet while having the Host use WiFi on another Subnet fulfills that requirement. The Host Only Network under normal circumstances works however why in your case it didn't I can say as I don't have enough information determine why. Not a big deal if you don't need it.

Not sure why you had such problems editing the boot.sh to get it to work as it works as described in the .pdf for me without any issues.

Well anyway I offered what I could with the incomplete information I had to work with and it is what it is... just meant to be a overview of how it could be segmented under the circumstances.

BTW What I presented by 1, 2, 3 and 4 were not meant to be different options but the parameters of the design concept in total but that doesn't really mater as it was just one way of looking at accomplishing the goal, again based on incomplete information.

0 Kudos
T_Kick
Contributor
Contributor

And so you see .... even with incomplete info you produced the right solution ......

I'm smiling ear-to-ear .....

What more can one want ....

yeah I know ... next time i'll try to be just that ...

0 Kudos