VMware Communities
subinacls
Contributor
Contributor

linux guest missing Virtual Disk.vmdk

I had a made a terrible mistake and deleted the vmdk file from my mac in a hasty migration and no longer have this file and can not start my vm and am at a total loss on how to recover from my mistake.

I really could use some help in creating this file to recover my projects code base from this vm and push to github

I am not sure what files are needed in order to assist the process of creating a new file and the research I have done has only left me with more confusion.

Please help!

I am now kicking myself for not having a time capsule

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From a quick look into the log files it seems there are two folders/packages involved.

To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

To be able to attach files switch to the advanded editor (upper right of the edit box).

André

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

a.p. wrote:

To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

That sure looks familiar! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Really? I copied the text from a guy who's active here in the forums and from whom I learned a lot about troubleshooting issues on MACs. 😉

Regards

André

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

subinacls wrote: I am now kicking myself for not having a time capsule

It is a known fact that Time Machine is not 100% reliable backing up/restoring Virtual Machines under all circumstances/conditions.  Also backing up Virtual Machines via Time Machine is disk/time intensive and wastes a tremendous amount of space for something that may be corrupt and worthless come time to restore it.  At a minimum I would exclude Virtual Machines from Time Machine and with the Virtual Machines shutdown, not suspended, and VMware Fusion closed then manually copy the Virtual Machines Package(s) to an alternate location, preferably on to a different physical hard disk.  Then keep the User Data that is stored within the Virtual Machine backed up off of the Virtual Machine on a regular basis so as to always have a current User Data Backup.  If you have to restore a properly backed up Virtual Machine that is not as current at least you'll have a working Virtual Machine and current User Data to go forward with when you find out your Time Machine Backup of the Virtual Machine fails.

Also have a look at: Best Practices for virtual machine backup (programs and data) in VMware Fusion (1013628)

0 Kudos
subinacls
Contributor
Contributor

Hello and thank you for the replies

I will def take a lesson form backing up and the proper procedure as well as keeping important project data offline in some form or another.

The support information requested is included in this reply

if anything else needed I will assist to the best of my ability.

0 Kudos
subinacls
Contributor
Contributor

Love the GNU "strings" command - by looking for very specific functions and classes in my application which I am developing, I was able to pinpoint the location of the files in the specific s0**.vmdk file and then utilize file carving techniques to extract the specific files - This was just some forensic techniques which would have been used against a person with non-encrypted hard drives. Hope it helps someone else eventually ...

0 Kudos