VMware Communities
meritage98
Contributor
Contributor

limit on file size from windows xp to mac share via vmfusion?

I'm trying to open an 11 gig pst file via outlook 2003 on xp inside a VMfusion session in Leopard. I can see the pst on the z:\share via the mac, but outlook doesn't see it as a valid file. However a smaller file (1 meg) next to it, can be seen by outlook. is there a known limitation in VMfusion of what can be utilized via the PC to Mac share? help! :+)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MandarMS
Expert
Expert

what exactly you are doing

Are you trying to Import the old .pst file or trying to open the .pst file from control panel > Mail> Data Files--> Add

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think there's a known limit on the shared filesize (I assume you're talking about a Fusion shared folder, not a network share) - some network shares do have a limit on the filesize; this varies by protocol. Fusion shared folders are a little wonky, though (this is a known issue); does it work if you copy the pst file to the virtual machine?

Also, how is Outlook not seeing it as a valid file - does it not show up, is it not selectable, does attempting to open it fail, etc.?

0 Kudos
meritage98
Contributor
Contributor

It's hard to be clear here. Here's what I am trying to accomplish.

I have a 11G pst file that I have in my docs folder on my mac. I don't want to move it to my xp vm image because I don't have the space on my mbp. So I figured I could access it from xp. I can see the pst file on the z: drive, which is a fusion shared drive from xp to mac my docs. but when I open outlook and choose open pst, it only shows the smaller (~256k) of two pst files. My first reaction is that there is a physicial limit to what vm can see, but it must be an outlook limit on share drives or something. I'm starting to think this is not a VMfusion issue at all.

0 Kudos
MandarMS
Expert
Expert

I think you are trying to open the .Pst file from File>Open>Outlook data file

Can you try adding the .pst file go to Control panel>Mail> data file --> add once you click on add it will prompts you select Outlook version select outlook 97-2000 and click ok and locate your .pst file from shared folders

0 Kudos