VMware Communities
issueman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

kubuntu vm: no network after resume

vmware fusion 11.5.2, macOS 10.15.3, vm: kubuntu 19.10

Network is working fine in vm after booting. Problem is, whenever pausing and resuming I end up with a non working network. Can get back to working state by restarting the vm, but that's somewhat annoying. Any ideas how to fix this?

Screenshots show network working state and non-working state.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
issueman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No longer a problem with Kubuntu 20.10 and vmware Fusion 12.1.0.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

the Kubuntu operating system installs but does not appear in the vmware compatibility (guest) matrix (also part of the Ubuntu project).

VMware Compatibility Guide - Guest/Host Search

VMware Guest Operating System Installation Guide

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/pdf/VMware_GOS_Compatibility_Guide.pdf

However, on a test level, the advice I can give you is if you have installed the VMware tools?

https://patrick-nagel.net/blog/archives/42

Kubuntu is an official derivative of the Ubuntu operating system which uses the KDE Plasma Desktop instead of the Unity graphical environment. Kubuntu is an operating system built by a worldwide team of expert developers:

Kubuntu images for VirtualBox and VMware

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
issueman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Does that translate to "Kubuntu is not supported so odd behavior is expected"? vmware tools are installed. Not sure what to make of that blog article.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Ubuntu 19.10 (or kubuntu for that matter, same thing) is probably not yet supported by VMware.

Not sure if that's your problem though. Perhaps, perhaps not.

Personally I don't like that kind of answer unless it has a known issue and can't be worked around.

For starters it doesn't explain what is going on and why it works that way.

As such you still don't have a solution.

When your suspend/resume a VM and vmware tools is installed, vmware tools will run some scripts.

This is done to take care of a number of things.

For example to prevent that you don't have an IP address after resume.

A scenario that it takes into account is that if you haven't run a VM for a while, the IP address it used might have been assigned to another VM or physical machine.

I don't have a ubuntu 19.10 VM down here atm, nor do I have the time to reproduce your issue.

However, you can find the scripts under:

/etc/vmware-tools

there's a script here that takes care of the network:

/etc/vmware-tools/scripts/vmware/network

You can probably work around it by commenting out the suspend and resume part.

Better would be to install your own script as documented in /etc/vmware-tools/suspend-vm-default and /etc/vmware-tools/resume-vm-default

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
issueman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Working with scripts is above my skill level. What is the timeline for vmware fusion to add official support for ubuntu 19.10?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

That's up to VMware to decide (I don't work for them).

Unfortunately they have a policty to not communicate about features and upcoming release time lines.

My guess would be that official support would arrive "in a few months", but I don't know for sure.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
issueman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For what it's worth this problem with VMware Fusion is persisting with Kubuntu 20.04. It would be great if VMware would address this problem.

issueman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No longer a problem with Kubuntu 20.10 and vmware Fusion 12.1.0.

0 Kudos
maartenwrs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Occasionally I also have to restart VMware Fusion networking and Ubuntu networking again after a resume.  To do that, I issue these commands as root in a terminal on the Mac:

/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --configure

/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --stop

/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --start

And then from Ubuntu, I click the networking icon in the top-right corner of the desktop and go to "Wired connected" and turn it off, and then back on.  After that, networking out from Ubuntu via the Mac works, for me.  I hope this helps someone.

0 Kudos