VMware Communities
mvmcneil
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ktext problem...do i need to reinstall?

For some reason, I have started to get a error when starting up my WinXP sp3 VM. I am not sure why this started to happen. I did recently have to restore my hard drive from a defragmentation error caused by Drive Genius. But the VM was working fine after I restored with SuperDuper. After which I updated to OS X 10.5.6. Fusion was working fine after the update as well. Can I just copy the ktext file from my cloned backup or do I need to reinstall Fusion? I had purchased Fusion at version 1 and have since updated to version 2.0.1. If I do need to reinstall:

1. Can I use my current VM or will I have to create a new one?

2. Do I need to reinstall from version 1 or can I use my serial number from version 1 to activate version 2.0.1?

Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

I forgot to mention I have repaired permissions and cleaned the user and boot caches with Onyx, as well as restarted. The attached ktext error occurs during restart and the VMware error occurs when I try to start my only VM.

Mike

macbook pro duo 2.4GHz SR OS X 10.5.6

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

2. Do I need to reinstall from version 1 or can I use my serial number from version 1 to activate version 2.0.1?

You are right that you want to reinstall to solve this issue, answers for your questions: 1. Yes, you just keep your VM (just like you would keep your documents when reinstalling Word) and then launch it again after you reinstall; 2. Yes, serial number for Fusion 1 works for Fusion 2 as well - so install Fusion 2 directly and enter the serial for Fusion 1.

Also I suggest you restart the Mac OS X after uninstalling Fusion, and then after installing it again, to be on the safe side. The uninstall app is at /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Uninstall VMware Fusion (you first click your hard drive icon in Finder in the left pane, then follow the path).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You are right that you want to reinstall to solve this issue, answers for your questions: 1. Yes, you just keep your VM (just like you would keep your documents when reinstalling Word) and then launch it again after you reinstall; 2. Yes, serial number for Fusion 1 works for Fusion 2 as well - so install Fusion 2 directly and enter the serial for Fusion 1.

Also I suggest you restart the Mac OS X after uninstalling Fusion, and then after installing it again, to be on the safe side. The uninstall app is at /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Uninstall VMware Fusion (you first click your hard drive icon in Finder in the left pane, then follow the path).

0 Kudos
mvmcneil
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help that did the trick!

Mike.

0 Kudos