VMware Communities
salismil
Contributor
Contributor

just bought a retail version of fusion 1.0; but should i upgrade to 1.1?

hi guys. i just received my copy of vmware fusion from amazon.com, which says on the CD that it is version 1.0.

however, i noticed that there is a 1.1 "release candidate" available here on the vmware website.

what should i do? should i go ahead and install what i bought? or should i install the release candidate?

and, am i entitled to free upgrades?

i'm running a macbook core2duo wih tiger. thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I would download and install the latest version and use the serial number that came with your cd.

0 Kudos
salismil
Contributor
Contributor

thanks woodyz.

so my serial number will work with 1.1?

also, what does "release candidate" mean? is this a stable version?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

so my serial number will work with 1.1

AFAIK it will.

For the most part yes, have a look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

0 Kudos
nathanp
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

thanks woodyz.

so my serial number will work with 1.1?

Your serial number will work with 1.x releases. For now that means 1.0 and 1.1.

If you are going to try the RC (release candidate), then you should probably check out the release notes: http://www.vmware.com/beta/fusion/releasenotes_fusion.html which lists bugs fixed and known issues. If any known issues (that don't have acceptable work arounds) stop you from using it, then I wouldn't use it.

Too bad it doesn't says which of the known issues were in 1.0 because they existed in 1.0, then no point not to upgrade.

Also, you can always try either one. Just make sure to upgrade/downgrade your tools in the VM so they match the version of Fusion you are running.

0 Kudos
salismil
Contributor
Contributor

thanks!

i'm up and running with 1.1, yes, serial # works.

but after booting into my boot camp partition, i see another "virtual machine" listed right under "boot camp partition" called "boot camp partition.vmwarevm." i found no option to delete it; i booted into it just like i booted into the other virtual machine, so i can't figure out why i have two. can i get rid of one?

also, the vmware tools timesync does not work...

0 Kudos