VMware Communities
issueman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

installing vmware tools in vmware fusion 11.5 in kubuntu 19.10 stuck, can't cancel installation

Host System is macOS 10.15.2, vm is Kubuntu 19.10, attempt to update vmware tools resulted in stuck installation.

Virtual Machine now shows "Cancel VMware Tools Installation" but that entry is greyed out. So now I can't cancel the installation nor restart the installation process. Restarting the VM does not bring any change.

Steps to resolve the problem:

sudo vmware-uninstall-tools.pl

sudo: vmware-uninstall-tools.pl: Command not found

sudo apt-get purge open-vm-tools*

Removed some old stuff.

sudo apt-get install open-vm-tools-lts-trusty

Package open-vm-tools-lts-trusty not found.

sudo apt-get install open-vm-tools-lts-trusty-dkms open-vm-tools-lts-trusty-desktop open-vm-toolbox-lts-trusty

Package not found.

Shut Down and Restart

Yey - I can now reinitiale installation of vmware tools.

Going to Virtual Machine > Install VMware Tools

Trying to follow Installing VMware Tools in a Ubuntu virtual machine - YouTube

But 0:44 does not apply. The CD is not mounted. I see Device Notifier showing me three options

VMWare Tools

• Copy with K3b
  • Open with File Manager
  • Download Photos with Gnenview

Select 2nd option

Right clicking VMwareTools-10.3.10-13959562.tar.gz

Select Extract To…

Next mismatch: Extract To… is greyed out. Now what? (see screenshot)

Selecting "Open with Ark" instead.

I then extract the vmware-tools-distrib folder to desktop by right-clicking on vmware-tools-distrib > Extract to… > Desktop

attempt with

sudo ./vmware-install.pl -d

failed as the process was option out with [no] default option.

Thus tried

sudo ./vmware-install.pl

instead and was asked 30 or so questions which I answered all by following the default as I have no clue as to what any of those are doing and there is no explanation to that, neither in console nor in the KB from vmware. And with that I finally succeeded.

Sincerely hope this is helpful to other users that may be in a similar situation.

I fail to understand how linux community can think this is a good way to install something and I would appreciated if VMware Fusion documentation could be updated. This is crazy complicated already. Having the documentation not match current systems behavior adds to the confusion unnecessarily.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
issueman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Found the answer and edited the original post. See above for steps to solve this if you are in a similar situation.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
issueman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Found the answer and edited the original post. See above for steps to solve this if you are in a similar situation.

0 Kudos