VMware Communities
ricky1
Contributor
Contributor

installed xp pro as guest but no network share folder/directory

I expected to see a folder /network directory on my xp desktop connecting my files on my mac but its not there

how can i make such a folder/network shate connection?

ricky1

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

There is no automatic icon on your guest desktop. The instructions are in the VMware system tray icon: double-click it and click on the Shared Folders tab. You can either setup a persistent mapped drive (like Z:) or use the UNC notation in an Explorer window (\ \.host\Shared Folders) and make a shortcut to the mapped drive or the address bar URL on your desktop. Sounds simple to make I realize but it is not automatic.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

There is no automatic icon on your guest desktop. ... Sounds simple to make I realize but it is not automatic.

Actually if you create a Windows XP VM using the Windows Easy Install feature without uncheckng the "Make your home folder accessible to the virtual machine" check box Fusion does create a Desktop Shortcut named "VMware Shared Folders" with a Target: of "
.host\Shared Folders" and Maps it to Z: with a Label of "Shared Folders on '.host'". I'd have to say that is as simple and automatic as it gets! Smiley Happy

Note: It may even do it for other versions of Windows too however I haven't done a Windows Easy Install for any other than XP.

Edit:

Note: After examining the contents of the autoinst.flp it doesn't matter whether the check box for "Make your home folder accessible to the virtual machine" is unchecked or checked. It still automates the VMware Shared Folders feature.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I expected to see a folder /network directory on my xp desktop connecting my files on my mac but its not there how can i make such a folder/network shate connection?

Did you install Windows using the Windows Easy Install feature? If not you have to manually establish a Desktop Shortcut and Mapping of the VMware Shared Folders feature as this is only done using Windows East Install.

0 Kudos