VMware Communities
frenchy71
Contributor
Contributor

install ububtu

i've been trying to install ubuntu on my mac with vmware fusion but it doesn't reconized the ubuntu os cd i downloaded nor the iso, it keep searching the network. and it won't give me the boot menu option.

can anyone help please.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
O_o
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you have the virtual CD drive connected ? Sometimes it isn't connected and you need to enable it !

Other things I can think of is that it's a bad ISO ... But since you also tried the CD ...

0 Kudos
frenchy71
Contributor
Contributor

the drive was connected, and the os i downloaded from ubuntu's site and put it on a dvd

0 Kudos
O_o
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maybe you should check the BIOS settings to be sure it can boot from the virtual CD drive.

The following option makes it possible to start the VM and end up in the BIOS:

The VMware Fusion BIOS posts too quickly to access.

Most users will not need to access the BIOS, but advanced users might

want to do so, to change the boot order, set a boot password, or enable

a second floppy drive. To work around this problem, use a text editor

to add the following line to the configuration (.vmx) file of the virtual machine:

bios.forceSetupOnce = "TRUE"

The next time you boot up the virtual machine, it will automatically

boot into the BIOS. This configuration option then reverts to FALSE. You must set the option to TRUE each time you want to boot the virtual machine into the BIOS.

source

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You don't need to do this for a fresh virtual machine - a newly created virtual disk will be blank, and therefore fall through to booting from CD.

For what it's worth, I regularly use Ubuntu in Fusion (and typically install a few times per Fusion release), and have never had problems with detection.

frenchy71, did you check the md5 sum to make sure it's an intact download? How are you telling Fusion about the iso? What is the exact name of the iso?

You don't need to burn the iso to a disk for Fusion to use it, you can point Fusion at the iso directly. Also, as far as I know Ubuntu isos are CD-size, not DVD size. Finally, if you did want to burn it to physical media, make sure you're burning the iso as a disk image and not as a single file.

0 Kudos
O_o
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know it's normally not necessary, hence I'm just providing a way to see if we get somewhere by trying things.

I have a few Linux installations in Fusion and never had these kind of problems.

0 Kudos
frenchy71
Contributor
Contributor

I'm going to try it and i'll let you guys know.

Thanks for the feedback

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

the drive was connected, and the os i downloaded from ubuntu's site and put it on a dvd

What was it that you downloaded, was it an ISO Image and if yes do you understand that there is a correct and incorrect way of burning an ISO Image to Disc? In other words if you look at the contents of the Disc you burned if it just has the one file, the ISO Image, you downloaded then that is not going to work. Also did you validate the published MD5 or SHA1 Sums for the ISO Image you downloaded? Also you can install directly from the ISO Image without burring to optical media by assigning the ISO Image to the CD/DVD in the Virtual Machine's Settings. Have a look in the VMware Fusion Help File for help with configuring the CD/DVD.

0 Kudos
frenchy71
Contributor
Contributor

it didn't work, it ask to insert the installation disk, after downloading unbuntu, is there something else that i'm suppose to do with it?

0 Kudos
frenchy71
Contributor
Contributor

keep in mind, i'm using a macbook pro

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Try reading the Documentation!... VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help

Or provide enough information to analyze because just saying "it didn't work, it ask to insert the installation disk" is a bit vague.

What is the name of the file you downloaded?

Did you validate the MD5 Sum to verify the file you downloaded is not corrupt?

Did you assign the Ubuntu ISO Image to the CD/DVD under the Virtual Machine's Settings?

Have a look at as an example of the type of information yo include when asking question in this Forum.

0 Kudos
frenchy71
Contributor
Contributor

ubuntu 8.10 i386 is the name of the file

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

ubuntu 8.10 i386 is the name of the file

Sorry but you obviously do not want any help since you are not willing to answer the questions being asked much less the only question you did answer is not correct because "ubuntu 8.10 i386" is not what Ubuntu names the file as it would be something like "ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso"!

The bottom line is if you are unwilling to answer the questions being asked and provide the correct information and provide enough valid information to analyze your situation then you doing little more then wasting peoples time here!

0 Kudos
frenchy71
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, sorry boss, i was at the doctor's office with my daugther, i just got back

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Wow, sorry boss, i was at the doctor's office with my daugther, i just got back

I sincerely hope all is well with your daughter!

Understand that is it a normal logical assumption that one is sitting at ones computer when asking for help and if one is not one typically will indicate that they will need to follow up when they are back in front of their computer and had you had the courtesy to inform us that you could not supply the answers to the questions being asked vs just replying partially to only one question then my reaction would be entirely different.

Understand that is it extremely frustrating trying to help someone when they are not answering the questions asked and because you neglected to to provide anything else then a partial answer to only one of the questions what was I suppose to think when you don't answer the questions being asked?

FWIW I was only trying to help you and nothing more!

Hope you get your issue resolved.

0 Kudos
frenchy71
Contributor
Contributor

I did assign the Ubuntu ISO Image to the CD/DVD under the Virtual Machine's Settings, when i use the file option, the file is mounted and i select it but the choose botton still remain gray

0 Kudos
Chazbow
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like you are pointing at a preinstalled appliance (preconfigured VM) and not the source image (like mentioned here http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/54735). I just completed a download and installed using "ubuntu-8.10-desktop-amd64.iso". I just downloaded it from the Ubuntu page today, and today was my first attempt at this.

I created a new VM using the "New..." selection from within the Fusion Virtual Machine Library window. I followed my nose and pointed at the .iso as downloaded (still in the downloads folder). You could download the 32 bit version instead, depending on your machine. I've loaded it onto my MacBook Pro and am running the latest updates after completing the installation.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Looks like you are pointing at a preinstalled appliance (preconfigured VM) and not the source image (like mentioned here http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/54735).

I'm not sure how you could come to that conclusion when the OP has already stated "and the os i downloaded from ubuntu's site and put it on a dvd". So if the OP did as stated then the ISO was downloaded from Ubuntu and is not dealing with an Appliance.

0 Kudos
frenchy71
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, for the reply but I figured it out. I didn't have to mount it, just had to select the file as is and it works, now just need so cool programs.

Thanks everyone

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I figured it out. I didn't have to mount it, just had to select the file as is and it works

Who told you you had to mount the iso? No one in this thread said that!

Eric said, "you can point Fusion at the iso directly."

I asked, "Did you assign the Ubuntu ISO Image to the CD/DVD under the Virtual Machine's Settings?"

If you had read the documentation... VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Managing Virtual Machines > Configuring the CD/DVD Drive... It states "You can connect the virtual machine's CD/DVD drive to the Mac physical CD/DVD drive or to a CD or DVD ISO image." and you can then click on "Connecting and Setting Up a CD/DVD Drive" for the details.

So why you were trying to mount the ISO vs just doing as suggested makes no sense.

0 Kudos