nyartist
Contributor
Contributor

increasing memory

I just installed Fusion and the XP disk and I think things are ok, but a few things are not clear: whenever I go into system hardware-memory, to increase RAM I get the message that the settings cannot be changed until the virtual machine is powered off. Does this mean quitting VM Fusion? or Shutting down the whole computer?

Also just installed an antivirus program on the VM but cannot figure out how to eject the disk!

www.phillevine.com

www.paintingfrance.com

www.phillevine.com www.paintingfrance.com
0 Kudos
4 Replies
marcelairmail
Contributor
Contributor

I'm pretty sure they mean the VM.

For ejecting the disk, try opening My Computer in XP, right click on the CD Icon and select 'eject'.

M.

0 Kudos
SMB1
Expert
Expert

I just installed Fusion and the XP disk and I think things are ok, but a few things are not clear: whenever I go into system hardware-memory, to increase RAM I get the message that the settings cannot be changed until the virtual machine is powered off. Does this mean quitting VM Fusion? or Shutting down the whole computer?

Neither. It means shutting down the Virtual Machine. If the VM is suspended or sleeping it won't let you increase the memory.

0 Kudos
nyartist
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks SMB.. got it done, but should I configure VM to use 2 or 1 processor

www.phillevine.com

www.paintingfrance.com

www.phillevine.com www.paintingfrance.com
0 Kudos
SMB1
Expert
Expert

Unless you have a MacPro with 4 cores, for most applications your best bet is keep it with one processor. This allows OS X to continue to do it's thing while the Fusion guest is scheduled on the other core. If you have 4 or more cores in your machine, then you can probably safely do 2 virtual processors in your guest without any side effects.

0 Kudos