VMware Communities
hglatt
Contributor
Contributor

improper window sizing in VM app renders it useless

Background info: Intel iMac G5 with Fusion and Windows XP Pro

I recently started using Fusion and successfully using a few apps in Windows. I'm very happy with Fusion except... I'm having trouble with an application I'm running (LightScanner softwarescientific data collection/analysis program). Upon opening the program, the window is sized larger than and extending beyond the VM screen, so that I cannot see or access a good chunk of the window. I do not have scrollbars and cannot resize the window. This happens in all views (Unity, Single Window, and Full Screen), though the visible portion of the screen in each view looks a little different. I can grab the top of the program window in Single Window, but can only move the window down, not up, so I can't see the whole window. Within the window, I am missing much of the body though I still have the toolbar at the top (see attached screenshotthe rows should be A-H). For the buttons I can access, the program appears fully functional. The only setting I can think to alter in the VM is display resolution, but that doesn't seem to fix it. Anybody know what might be causing this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jimbode
Contributor
Contributor

Try increasing the host's screen resolution, then view the guest in full screen mode. The designers of the LightScanner software seem to have gone overboard on the amount of information they wish to display on one window. The designers must also have specified a minimal screen resolution to run the software.

0 Kudos
nathanp
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I am not sure why your LightScanner software uses such a large resolution (their website was unclear of those sort of requirements).

I don't have any fix for you, but maybe a method for increasing your resolution enough to view that application in its entirity.

Change to full screen and manually change your resolution in windows. Right-click on the Desktop, select Properties... Click the Settings tab, and increase the resolution. It should create scroll bars for the VM so that you can view the entire VM. This should give you a bit more real-estate to view your app.

This won't be saved after you go out of Fullscreen and back in again.

If you need more resolution, then you'd have to edit your vmx file for your VM.

Have you used LightScanner on your iMac before (BootCamp) or only on a different Windows box? I am just curious if it is natural for this application to take up so much space.

0 Kudos