VMware Communities
in2insight
Contributor
Contributor

iTunes

I searched, but found no answer.

1) Can I share an iTunes library between the host (mac 10.5) and the guest (xp), and if so, how?

2) If the answer to the above is no, then is there a way to copy both the music and the playlists as they are on the host?

Thanks in advance,

Dorian

0 Kudos
6 Replies
getwired
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Under iTunes, look at the iTunes menu for the Preferences option. The sharing option there will let you share out your iTunes library on your local network so other computers can use it. It's not transparent - and doesn't really work the way I think it should, but it may meet your needs. Otherwise, yes, you can copy the music in, and add that Windows VM as an authorized computer for you under the Store | Authorize Computer menu.

in2insight
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that.

I do have sharing open, however, the structure of iTunes, such as playlists, does not translate. All I get are the actual MP3 files, but not sorted into and by playlists.

Same thing would be true for just coping the files over, no?

I would like to copy both the music files and the internal iTunes structure of the playlists.

Possible?

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

This sounds like a regular question migrating iTunes between OS X and Windows. You can also try Apple Discussions : iTunes for help

edit: fixed link

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

iTunes uses Bonjour to advertise shares to the network. Using Bonjour in the guest requires the guest using bridged mode; the default is NAT. Try switching to bridged.

0 Kudos
in2insight
Contributor
Contributor

It may be a regular question, but one that I have not been able to answer. Perhaps you could point me in the right direction?

As for the NAT vs. Bridge mode, I don't even see Bonjour on the host side (It's not showing under System Pref.) and have no idea where or how to find it on the Guest side.

BTW, the link is broken.

I have searched the Apple user forums as well.

Cheers,

D.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry I fixed the Apple discussion link above. It was to iTunes under iLife. Bonjour is built into OS X, you don't have to install or look for it. If you want to see where it's available you can enter Bonjour into the Help menu. If you want to install Bonjour for Windows, you can download that too.

My point about the "regular question" is that it's more about content within a virtual machine than about the VMware Fusion program. Fusion by it's nature attracts, many "how do i...?" questions which are more about cross-platform usage, general Windows or Linux OS questions or questions about any program "x", like iTunes which is made by Apple. Usually other venues are better sources, although many users are experts here.

With iTunes, I'm sure the content is fine to transfer, so long as you authorize your iTunes protected content, etc. but you want playlists, that I'm unsure of.

0 Kudos