VMware Communities
BarryFH
Contributor
Contributor

iTunes crashes in Mountain Lion guest VM under Mavericks

I have been trying to test iTunes 11 under Mountain Lion in a VM running under Mavericks using the 30-days demo mode of Fusion 6, so that I can make a purchase decision.

Each time I have tried to conduct the necessary tests, iTunes crashes in the Mountain Lion VM.

The crash report shows that it is an Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP).

These crashes have happened after each of three occasions that I've installed Mountain Lion in a brand new VM.

The crashes consistently and reliably happen after I click the Accept button in iTunes' splash screen or after I click any of iTunes' menubar items.

The VM has no third-party apps; I've only created the VM, installed Mountain Lion (on two occasions updated to 10.8.5 using the combo updater; on the third, left it at 10.8.3 as installed), and then installed VMWare Tools.

On two of the three occasions, during the installation process, I chose "Mac OS 10.8" from the list of guest Mac OS versions because "Mac OS 10.8-64 bit" was not one of the options.

On the third occasion, I chose "Mac OS 10.7-64 bit" and renamed the VM to "Mac OS 10.8-64 bit."

I am using Mountain Lion's "InstallEDS" disk image file from the factory installation that came with my MacBook Pro with Retina display (which I subsequently updated to Mavericks).

Can someone please point me in the proper direction for getting this VM prepared so that iTunes launches properly?

Many thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BarryFH
Contributor
Contributor

This problem evidently is related to VMWare Tools.

I created a second virtual hard drive in the Fusion VM, cloned a vanilla Mountain Lion installation to the second virtual hard drive, and then launched Mountain Lion iTunes in the VM without installing VMWare Tools.

iTunes behaved normally; I could click the Agree button in the splash screen and access iTunes' menubar items normally.

After installing VMWare Tools, I launched iTunes and it became very unstable; clicking any menubar item or just resizing the application's window resulted in iTunes quitting unexpectedly.

I then uninstalled VMWare Tools using the uninstall application.

iTunes then behaved normally again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or know how to install VMWare Tools without compromising iTunes' stability?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I wonder if iTunes uses 3d acceleration for some features - which is not available in OSX guests.

0 Kudos