VMware Communities
jodib
Contributor
Contributor

i need some serious help

ok so i got fusion to put on my imac so i can run windows so inturn i can run this program for flight simulation, and i got to the end of it and it said missing file asms please insert service pack 2 cd, which was what is in the computer and then it said please type location of file, ok so this might be stupid but what is a superdrive in a mac called? like pc's are c or d or e drives and i cant firgue this out.. i called apple and they reffered me to fusion which i can only get online support for 30 days since i really dont want to pay 30.00 to talk to someone at the help line.. so any ideas????

sorry if that seems confusing but i really dont have a clue what to do..thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Are you using a genuine authentic Windows CD that has a hologram on it or a copy of a genuine authentic Windows CD? The reason I'm asking is it has been my experience the the main cause of that error is defective media and typically copies of the original media.

As far as the path is concerned it's what's normal in Windows not OS X even though your doing this in Fusion on OS X.

0 Kudos
jodib
Contributor
Contributor

yeah it is a true copy of the disk with the hologram on it.. so that is the problem i should use a copy? any ideas of where i can get a copy not the true thing?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

yeah it is a true copy of the disk with the hologram on it.. so that is the problem i should use a copy? any ideas of where i can get a copy not the true thing?

Look you either have an original genuine authentic Windows CD that has a hologram on it or a copy of an original genuine authentic Windows CD and it is typically the copy not the original that has issues although that doesn't mean an original doesn't have issue too and in either case Microsoft recommends using a different Disc and an original Disc not a copy. That's not to say that copies don't work, they can and do however I'm just saying what Microsoft says in reference to asms errors during an install. You can also look to make sure that are no scratches (top or bottom) on the Disc and that it's not dirty on the bottom. You can also attempt to make an ISO Image of the Disc and try using the ISO Image to install from.

Otherwise try with a different Disc and see if the problem persists which I'd expect it won't.

0 Kudos
jodib
Contributor
Contributor

yeah i have the real cd with the hologram on it.. so i will try to iso thingy and see if i can get that to work. this is the first time i have ever done anything like this, because this is my first mac so, sorry to not really understand what the crap i am doing.. thank you for the help.

0 Kudos