VMware Communities
bsenftner
Contributor
Contributor

how to launch a win32 console app from an OS X console script?

Hi all,

I am almost completely free of Windows, but I still have a single win32 command line program that I need to run for my work. (It generates some complex data, and is only available on win32.)

I'd like to be able to execute a bash script (OS X console script) that "somehow" causes a command line program (or a .bat file) in the win32 virtual machine to execute.

I'm hoping that I won't have to go to all the trouble of creating a Win32 Service that listens to a network port for requests to run this command line program... that'd be a pain...

Anyway, some status:

I'm running VMware Fusion version 1.1.1 build #72241

I have VMware running on a MacBookPro, running OS X 10.4.11 (17", 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM)

I am not using BootCamp.

I'm also a software engineer, but working in a completely different area than the virtual machine world, and don't have the bandwidth to learn it. All I want to do is execute this little command line program from a bash script in OS X... any suggestions, or directions to the knowledge base article I missed that describes exactly this would be really beautiful.

Thanks,

-Blake

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

At the present time Fusion does not offer the functionality you're seeking.

The quickest thing I can think of would be to try modifying a Unity Helper App that has been set to Keep in Dock then you could click the docked icon to run the target app. You can use the Search Community function using "helper app" (without the quotes) and set "Who:" to WoodyZ for information on this.

0 Kudos