VMware Communities
vijgarud
Contributor
Contributor

how to import a VM from windows to mac

I have created a windows 2016 server VM on using VM workstation 16 pro .

I want to import this into my M1 Mac.

Could anyone please let me know how to import this 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Power off VM on Windows.
Remove snapshots ...
Zip full directory
Copy zip to Mac and unzip it
Open directory and doubleclick vmx-file

Ulli

0 Kudos
palter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually, ignore the above.

Your Windows 2016 Server virtual machine is an x86 (Intel) architecture virtual machine. The M1 Mac is an ARM architecture system. No virtualization product (VMware, Parallels) can run an Intel VM on an M1 system.

There are emulator, not virtualization, solutions (i.e., QEMU and UTM) which can run x86 systems on an M1 Mac but you'll find that emulation is excruciatingly slow.

Mac mini (M2 Pro/32GB/2TB), Intel NUC10i5FNH w/ESXi 7.0,
iPhone 15 Pro Max (256GB), iPad Pro 12.9" (5th gen, M1/16GB/1TB)
41mm Watch Series 9 (Aluminum), TV 4K (3rd gen), TV 4K (1st gen)
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You would be OK if you had an Intel Mac.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Oops - overlooked the m1 part ...

Ulli

0 Kudos
vijgarud
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the comments.I was looking for a possibility and now i can be satisfied that its not possible

0 Kudos
JamesKing75
Contributor
Contributor

I have VMware workstation pro. My current method for installing a copy of Mac OS is to download a Niresh ISO and then use that to create a legitimate Mac OS installer.

But, considering I'm using a virtual machine, I was wondering - is there a place where I can just download a legitimate, unmodified, MacOS Sierra ISO without first installing Niresh?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

If you are trying to run macOS under VMware Workstation, that’s not supported by VMware. It’s also a violation of Apple’s  licensing agreements to run macOS on non Apple hardware. 

Similar to people asking about  Hackintoshes, don’t  expect any discussion that would involve breaking Apple’s EULA to get very far here. . 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
anilspp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing.

0 Kudos