VMware Communities
joshlabtech
Contributor
Contributor

how to get a static IP to point to an external intranet from VMware Fusion using the internet adapter of host macbookpro?

Hi,

I have a macbookpro which has VMware Fushion installed.

The VMWare Fushion contains Windows 7 OS.

Now, I need to point the IE from VMware to an IP which has the intranet link.

First of all, I have tested that in my VMware that I can access any IE pages. But the network adapter is not link to any of the host macbookpro. When I do bridge, I was able to connect with Internet, however, I'm not able to connect to this intranet page.

Please advise what can I do.

I understand that I need to input their ips in IT properties of the mac so then it will work. However, I'm not sure how.

JT

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If I am understanding correctly, you are trying to connect the VM to a site that is only available to certain machines?

Using bridged mode will give the VM an address from the networks DHCP server and if there is a restriction there would prevent access.

Using NAT will use the hosts IP for data transfer.

Between these options what is the configuration that is needed?

0 Kudos
joshlabtech
Contributor
Contributor

Hi mhampto, thanks for your reply!

After about 3 months of trying and asking around, I discover what was the root problem. I hope this problem can help others.

In my VM Fushion of Win7, I set the bridge mode to Wifi as I don't use LAN cables. After confirming that my IE in VM can access internet, I did a route "route ADD <Site IP> mask 255.x.x.x <Gateway IP> so that I can access the locally hosted website on my browser. I realize that it was due to the incorrect host address of the gateway IP that dont allow me to access the page.

Thank you all for your time!

0 Kudos