VMware Communities
coolpontiac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

how to connect usb device to fusion instead of mac host?

I may have clicked 'dont ask again' in a dialog box once when i plugged a external dvd drive into my mac and it asked where to connect (macos or win10).

now, for the first time, i want to connect the device to win10 fusion.  how can i 'tell' mac to do this?

Thx

Tags (2)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Fabiozib
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

See this screen shot.

Screenshot 2020-01-28 21.10.07.png

on top or your VM Windows you see most of the devices, te USB drive should have the icon like the one in the red circle (you may have more than one).

Click on it and you will have few option for the drive (check the name if you have more) to connect or else.

Hope this helps, right now I don't have a USB drive on hand to show the dropdown

View solution in original post

KamenGopin84
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi coolpontiac​,

To a connect a USB device to a virtual machine:

1) Open VMware Fusion and power on the virtual machine

2) From the VMware Fusion menu bar navigate to "Virtual Machine -> Settings -> USB & Bluetooth"

3) Select the device you want to connect

Regards,

Kamen

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Fabiozib
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

See this screen shot.

Screenshot 2020-01-28 21.10.07.png

on top or your VM Windows you see most of the devices, te USB drive should have the icon like the one in the red circle (you may have more than one).

Click on it and you will have few option for the drive (check the name if you have more) to connect or else.

Hope this helps, right now I don't have a USB drive on hand to show the dropdown

KamenGopin84
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi coolpontiac​,

To a connect a USB device to a virtual machine:

1) Open VMware Fusion and power on the virtual machine

2) From the VMware Fusion menu bar navigate to "Virtual Machine -> Settings -> USB & Bluetooth"

3) Select the device you want to connect

Regards,

Kamen

coolpontiac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks everyone. your suggestions worked perfectly.

for me ...its important to note that you control host vs vm connection to physical devices from within fusion -> virtual machine pull down menu rather than from within the system preferences on the host mac . this is useful after you click 'dont ask again' to the dialog question about where to connect the external cdrom to ...

0 Kudos