VMware Communities
telemachos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how can I install Boot Camp drivers from MacBook Pro?

Joe Kissell, author of "Take Control of VMWare Fusion 2," recommends that users install Apple's Boot Camp drivers to gain access to the Apple Remote and iSight cameras from within VMWare:

To install the Boot Camp drivers under Windows:

1. With Windows running in Fusion, insert your Leopard Install DVD.

The Boot Camp installer should run automatically.

Auto repair: If the installer doesn’t run, check if the virtual

CD/DVD drive is in use. To do this, open the Virtual Machine >

CD/DVD menu. If Disconnect CD/DVD is enabled, select it. That

should cause the Boot Camp installer to run; if not, choose Start >

(My) Computer and double-click the DVD icon.

What I find instead is this:

Which is really weird, because I'm not using a MacBook Air, but rather a MacBook Pro (unibody). I can even see the Boot Camp folders on the CD/DVD drive but don't know what to do with them.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Which is really weird, because I'm not using a MacBook Air, but rather a MacBook Pro (unibody). I can even see the Boot Camp folders on the CD/DVD drive but don't know what to do with them.

You can close that windows and then go into Windows Explorer to the CD/DVD Drive and navigate to <CD/DVD Drive>:\BootCamp\setup.exe and double-click it to start the Boot Camp Drivers Install. (The Disc Label will probably show as "WindowsSupport" in Windows Explorer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you using a retail version of Leopard or the machine-specific installation media? If the latter, is it labeled for a MacBook Pro or for a MacBook Air?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can close that windows and then go into Windows Explorer to the CD/DVD Drive and navigate to <CD/DVD Drive>:\BootCamp\setup.exe and double-click it to start the Boot Camp Drivers Install. (The Disc Label will probably show as "WindowsSupport" in Windows Explorer.

0 Kudos
telemachos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm using the machine-specific installation media. Isn't that what I should be doing?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm using the machine-specific installation media. Isn't that what I should be doing?

Generally speaking yes. Apple changed the contents of the Boot Camp Drivers on the Leopard DVD and in the later releases vs the newer releases the new default behavior is what you experienced regardless of whether you have a MacBook Air or not. In the original release of the Leopard DVD the Boot Camp Driver Install started automatically and did not have the program that you first experienced.

That's the nature of this industry, thing change and change quickly sometimes and as such documentation and or books, etc are quickly outdated in some respects.

0 Kudos
telemachos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ran the setup.exe and boy did it install a lot of probably unnecessary stuff -- although I only wanted the iSight and infrared remote drivers, I got the whole Boot Camp installation. Since I don't intend to boot Windows directly, nor do I even have a Boot Camp partition, would it be advisable that I remove stuff? Ah, I should have saved a snapshot!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I ran the setup.exe and boy did it install a lot of probably unnecessary stuff -- although I only wanted the iSight and infrared remote drivers

I haven't read Joe Kissell's book, "Take Control of VMWare Fusion 2" however if it doesn't include information like if you only what iSight and infrared in the Virtual Machine then just execute the following files... then it's certainly not about taking full control! Smiley Happy

If you'd been more explicit about it in the OP I'd have said that you could have just executed the following files.

"D:\Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple\AppleiSightInstaller.exe"

"D:\Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple\AppleRemoteInstaller.exe"

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I haven't read Joe Kissell's book, "Take Control of VMWare Fusion 2" however if it doesn't include information like if you only what iSight and infrared in the Virtual Machine then just execute the following files... then it's certainly not about taking full control! Smiley Happy

I reviewed it for accuracy. It's meant more for the beginner, and possibly someone new to the Mac entirely.

0 Kudos