VMware Communities
cubano100pct
Contributor
Contributor

.host mapping does not hide .folders

I have .\host\Windows shared mapped. In explorer my .svn folders are not showing up as ready only, so XCopy copies all my Subversion information which I dont want when making a release. This happens on my Windows XP and Windows 2000 VMs.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

In UNIX, it's only the shell that hides .files/folders. So on another OS I wouldn't expect that to be honored. Cygwin should hide them for you though.

Is the other problem permissions? i.e. every file/folder is being presented as rwx?

Let me see what I get with both cygwin and cygwin ls tonight.

0 Kudos
cubano100pct
Contributor
Contributor

If I create a SAMBA share to the same folder as .host/Shared Folders/Windows uses it does hide the .snv folder in Windows XP and 2000 that SubVersion created.

In Windows explorer I have two mappings to the same folder, once uses SAMBA share the other uses .host shared. When I right-click on the .svn folder and select properties, in the samba share it shows Hidden property checked, but the .host shared does not have the Hidden property checked.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I'm pretty sure the .hiding in Samba is a feature. If you take a FAT32 USB drive from OS X to Windows you will see .dot folders.

You can always ask for a feature request... I don't think you can overlay Wiindows attributes through Shared Folders plus new folders will not have the attribute.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

As expected you're depending on Samba to decorate OS X .files and .folders with a Windows "hidden" attribute. I mapped the same location with Shared Folders and Windows Sharing (samba). The .files in Shared Folders appeared "normal" in Explorer. The same .files appeared dimmed or "hidden" via Windows Sharing.

Also as expected cygwin hides .files/.folders in both cases, it also hides USB FAT32 files beginning with dots.

I'm guessing somehow that a CVS/SVN client on Windows also automatically marks special files as hidden but those attributes don't translate to extracts done via the OS X side.

If you depend on features provided by Samba you should probably use that instead of Shared Folders. I would also open the beta support request I mentioned earlier.

BTW the permissions seen via Shared Folders and Samba look identical to me.

0 Kudos
cubano100pct
Contributor
Contributor

Problem still exist in Fusion Beta 3. The .folders are not hidden when I use the
.host\shares, but Windows and samba shares do hide .folders. Here is an command line example (M: is mapped using the samba share and Z: is mapped using the
.host share):

M:\>mkdir .test

M:\>dir /ah

Volume in drive M is Windows

Volume Serial Number is 0941-16CD

Directory of M:\

04/06/2007 11:41 AM

.test
03/28/2007 01:15 PM 12,292 .DS_Store
1 File(s) 12,292 bytes
1 Dir(s) 37,635,489,792 bytes free

M:\>Z:

Z:\>dir /ah
Volume in drive Z is Shared Folders
Volume Serial Number is 0000-0064

Directory of Z:\

File Not Found

Z:\>attrib .test
Z:\.test

Z:\>M:

M:\>attrib .test
H M:\.test

M:\>

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You are correct that Shared Folders shows all files and folders on the Mac, including files and folders that start with periods.

I have put in a feature request to improve this behavior in a future release of VMware Tools.

Best,

Pat Lee

Senior Product Manager - Mac Products

VMware

0 Kudos