VMware Communities
wadnerk
Contributor
Contributor

high cpu use: fusion 1.1

Are other people still experiencing this issue? I didn't notice any problems until I upgraded to 1.1. I have reinstalled VMWare Tools, but that didn't have an effect. This is becoming a show stopper, not just for the heat generated but also because it slows my laptop down to a crawl... =(

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
jfriesne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I haven't had any problems with it.... although back in the 1.0 days I did notice that uninstalling the McAfee anti-virus stuff from my WinXP VM did seem to speed it up very significantly...

0 Kudos
sheke
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this issue as well, I feel like I'm walking through wet cement when I use XP.

Any ideas here?

0 Kudos
jfriesne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Another possibility would be that you're running out of memory.... I know that running a 384MB XP guest on a 1GB mac mini (1.6GHz) was often quite slow, and that expanding the mini's RAM to 2GB made things much faster and more responsive (no more colored pinwheels). (After upgrading to 2GB, I upgraded the XP guest to 512MB, dunno whether that made the difference or if it was having more RAM available in general)

0 Kudos
sheke
Contributor
Contributor

Ram is set to 512MB. Ive always had it set there, and I never had an issue until I upgraded. Everything is slow. It starts up slow, I click on an icon and ten seconds later it highlights it... I think the Fusion upgrade may have currupted my bootcamp install.

0 Kudos
adb63
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiencing the same type of issue with a Windows XP VM on a MacBook running Leopard. Everything worked fine until I upgraded to Fusion 1.1, but now the VM is very sluggish and occasionally hangs. Very frustrating!

0 Kudos
wadnerk
Contributor
Contributor

Couple follow-up comments:

The I'm running on a 2.33 Core 2 Duo, with 2G of RAM. I've assigned 1G of ram to the VM. I ermailed support about the issue and they suggested I try the 3.1 RC. I'll see that if makes a difference..

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I ermailed support about the issue and they suggested I try the 3.1 RC.

Support is confused, there is no such thing as 3.1RC (1.1 final is the most recent version of Fusion).

0 Kudos
wadnerk
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah so am I apparently.... I have been trying to solve two un-related problems. the 3.1 RC was in reference to ReSharper (a plugin for Visual Studio) .. so, you can safety ignore that last post.

Question:

For the people have problems? Are you always on a wireless network? i.e. Have you ever noticed the CPU problem when plugged into a LAN?

0 Kudos
jgd
Contributor
Contributor

I have the problem.

Periodically VMware Fusion consumes over 100% CPU when Windows XP is idling at a couple of percent.

Reinstalling VMWare tools and rebooting always fixes the problem for me. Having to do it a couple of times a week now and its starting to get me irritated.

Any ideas?

Leopard 10.5.2 Fusion 1.1.1.

0 Kudos