Contributor
Contributor

help with vmware fusion/bootcamp

im new to using fusion and was looking into what windows is running and its not the nvidia gpu, so i was wondering if i install windows on bootcamp does it use the nvidia gpu, and if so does fusion allow you to open bootcamp without having to restart? does it still use the nvidia gpu running bootcamp through fusion?

thank you for any help

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Contributor
Contributor

im new to using fusion and was looking into what windows is running and its not the nvidia gpu, so i was wondering if i install windows on bootcamp does it use the nvidia gpu

Yes, when running Windows natively on the Mac (ie. not using Fusion) via BootCamp, it will use the nVidia GPU.Note that while running Windows in a Fusion VM, Fusion will present it's own video card to Windows, but essentially this is just a bridge to the actual video card (nvidia GPU in your case). Make sure you install VMware tools in the Windows VM to unlock the full potential of your video card.

and if so does fusion allow you to open bootcamp without having to restart?

Yes, but it will effectively be a VM and you will not be able to suspend the VM or take snapshots.

You can also convert the bootcamp Windows partition into a "proper" VM (independant of BootCamp Windows), where you'll then be able to Suspend the VM and also take snapshots.

Check out the Fusion Getting Started guide for more info.