VMware Communities
vladigospel92
Contributor
Contributor

help!! Transport (VMDB) error-14: Pipe connection has been broken

hi, i hope you can help me, recently i install mac os monterrey and my VMware start to show this fault: "Transport (VMDB) error-14: Pipe connection has been broken" I already install the software again and create a new virtual machine, but this message is still shown when I run my virtual machine.

I attach the .log, please, can you help me! I really appreciate it!!

46 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Yeah, I really wish they'd put a specific 'you can't run x86 guests' message instead.

0 Kudos
Fossy_01
Contributor
Contributor

Finally I give up..., VMWare has lost a customer.

Alternatively I have solved it as follows:

1) Installing VirtualBox.

2) Converting my Windows VM to VirtualBox file (VMWare has tools for it).

3) Entering to VM under VirtualBox and making a backup (on my case, source code of my Apps).

4) I have recycled an old Core 2 Duo with 4 Gb Ram and 512 Gb HD. I installed Windows 10 Pro on it (works fine for programming), installed all programming tools and backup restored.

5) Done the above,  put your PC with Windows near your Mac, only with AC Power cable and one network cable (RJ45) to your Mac directly.

6) On my Mac, I installed Microsoft Remote Desktop, and on Systems Preferences: click on Share, and on the left check Share Internet, on the right choose/check From Wifi to Ethernet.

Now you can access to your PC with Windows on your Mac, and handle it as a Virtual Machine, but this time is not an VM, is an REAL PC with Windows (much fast and better). And Microsoft Remote Desktop is much better than VMWare.

Normally the IP for access/configure your PC with Windows on Microsoft Remote Desktop is: 192.168.2.2 (if not, connect provisionally an monitor, keyboard and mouse to PC and on Command type "IPCONFIG" to see the IP of PC to configure on Microsoft Remote Desktop).

I hope this help to peoples desperate to keep working with their windows machines.

0 Kudos
homejiu
Contributor
Contributor

anyone solved this?This sucks

0 Kudos
VM_path
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem on a Mac mini 2012 with graphic card HD4000.

When running the following command from a terminal with root privileges:

"kextload /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/kexts/vmmon.kext/" and then

"kextstat | grep -I vmware"

I receive the following output:

Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil showloaded

No variant specified, falling back to release

187    0 0xffffff7f9a512000 0x9000     0x9000     com.vmware.kext.vmnet (1881.16.40) D949353C-0058-3A0F-A9A9-3C2468FE7789 <7 6 3 1>

188    0 0xffffff7f9a4f5000 0x4000     0x4000     com.vmware.kext.vmioplug.20.5.0 (20.5.0) 5670C166-1F1C-34AC-A662-F94639340D71 <88 7 6 3 1>

189    0 0xffffff7f9a4fc000 0x10000    0x10000    com.vmware.kext.vmx86 (1881.16.40) 4768E9B5-AC88-3DE1-A1C8-0BE7F5F7A8C8 <9 7 6 3 1>

Still something is missing and VM can't start with error (Transport (VMDB) error -14: Pipe connection has been broken).

On Security Privacy --> App Store and identified developers, there isn't any notification for allowing VMware. It showed when installing and it was allowed at that time.

Any news about how to remediate this issue?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

What's the host and Fusion versions?

0 Kudos
CoyoteDen
Contributor
Contributor

Can't be run on the HD4000 right now.

This isn't a kext issue, it is a problem with displaying the VM on certain Metal GPUs.

0 Kudos
VM_path
Contributor
Contributor

Host version is "Monterey 12.1 (21C52)"

Fusion Version is "Professional Version 12.2.1 (18811640)"

0 Kudos
VM_path
Contributor
Contributor

So, who could potentially remediate this issue with an update, Apple or VMware?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Monterey isn't supported on that hardware: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212551

So there's no remediation possible.

0 Kudos
scnorman
Contributor
Contributor

I have been told it will never work on Apple Silicon M1 models - virtualisation of MS Windows is over - wish I had researched this deeper before upgrading.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Fusion does run on M1 (ARM) for ARM based guests.  The tech preview does not support running windows because Microsoft doesn't license it for non OEM hardware.  There's rumors that is due to an exclusivity deal with Qualcomm that is rumored to end sometime soon. If it does, you would be able to run windows 11 ARM on M1, which then emulates x86 for most (but not all) applications.  Older versions of Windows will never run on ARM chips.

0 Kudos
Machist
Contributor
Contributor

I just upgrade my server to Monterey.

All seems to work, but Vmware give that error also me (Transport (VMDB) error-14: Pipe connection has been broken).

So this is common issue and it is not fixed yet?

I run "unofficial Monterey" because I have 2012 Mac mini.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

You are not running "unofficial Monterey". You are running a configuration of Monterey that does not meet minimum system requirements from Apple. Which means

• that the configuration is unsupported by Apple
  • the configuration is unsupported by VMware

Unsupported configurations mean just that. Neither VMware nor Apple will provide fixes for a problem found on an unsupported configuration. 

The issue will not be investigated and fixed. That is unless you can reproduce the issue on a supported configuration.

The only fix is to run Fusion in a supported configuration. In your case that would mean dropping back to Catalina (the last macOS version to support macOS on that hardware, and running Fusion 12.1.2 (the last Fusion version to support Catalina).

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
coolpontiac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@CoyoteDen im running fusion 12.2 on big sur 11.6  on macbook pro 2017 and suddently getting this pipe error 14

i do not see any system preferences > battery > automatic graphics switching  

where is this located... on my macos?

Tags (1)
duxed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

system preferences > battery (preference) > battery icon (left side bar) > automatic graphics switching check box.

is on my MacBook Big Sur prefs.

0 Kudos
coolpontiac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@duxed Hello. I can say for sure that i do not see that option when i look at the battery icon i do NOT see a check box for automatic graphic switching

full disclosure im using a 2017 13" macbook pro running big sur and I do have a  "Battery ! alert " telling me the battery is going bad.... but i dont see how that suddenly makes vmware fusion stop working !?

also i tried several suggestions ive seen on this forum

-reinstalling Vmware,

-enabling SIP , disabling SIP ,

i still get the same error Transport (VMDB) error 14 Pipe connection has been broken

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

That model MacBook Pro may only have integrated Intel Iris graphics. If so, then there’s no discrete graphics card and that option for automatic switching would not be present. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
fsantore
Contributor
Contributor

I'm affected as well as a result of migrating off of Parallels Desktop.  This decision was in reaction to current events.  I then needed to spend multiple thousands to upgrade the machine.  The current released version would not run on my older hardware unlike Parallels.  Has VMWare issued a statement on this complete inability to run their software?   The failure has been around at least since October of last year?

0 Kudos
fsantore
Contributor
Contributor

Well. . . immediately after my post yesterday, I thought I would double check the state of my '3D Accel' Preference parameter.  Prior to my post, I had toggled it perhaps on and off per the thread discussions, but noticed that once on, a 'Tools Install' was required.  This most certainly is because the virtual machine was still coming from a Parallels environment.  Since the subject error was occurring, installing VM Tools would not be possible.  I was surprised to see 3D Acceleration left on, thus requiring the tools update.  I turned it off, relaunched my Win10 VM machine, and all is well.  I'm a bit red in the cheeks, and none of this follows logic, but thought for full disclosure I would come clean.  VM Tools Install went fine after that, though I haven't tried a subsequent 3D Accel enable.  After getting current on Windows and Defender Updates, my needed apps are functioning fine on current generation HW, incredibly snappy, and not the yearly cost of Parallels.  It was of course current events that initiate all this, and I do wish the Fusion startup had been smoother.

0 Kudos
kits1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! this worked for me

0 Kudos