VMware Communities
zman1117
Contributor
Contributor

hard drive space

This is more of an OS question and not a Fusion question. While running XP off my boot camp partition using Fusion, I checked my harddrive and about 8gb of the space was taken. I checked my harddrive and my Program Files folder and Windows folder took up about 4gb. Where does the other 4gb go? Is it for the OS itself? This would make sense but I thought the OS files would be under the Windows folder. Thanks for your help.

Message was edited by:

zman1117

0 Kudos
3 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

FYI: this thread has been moved to the VMware Fusion forum.

Oliver

[url=http://www.vmware.com/community/ann.jspa?annID=84

]VMTN User Moderator[/url]

0 Kudos
Mac_hatter
Contributor
Contributor

Did you take into account the size of hidden directories? pagefile? Windows 'restore points' (which can be 1GB for each time you create one) as well as temp and cache files.

4GB is not a lot of space. But a lot of people using BootCamp seem to try to use only the minimum amount of disk space - - and often end up regretting and having to redo their partitioning all over again.

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

This is more of an OS question and not a Fusion question. While running XP off my boot camp partition

using Fusion, I checked my harddrive and about 8gb of the space was taken. I checked my harddrive

and my Program Files folder and Windows folder took up about 4gb. Where does the other 4gb go? Is it for

the OS itself? This would make sense but I thought the OS files would be under the Windows folder.

Thanks for your help.

What does the Windows disk manager report in terms of used and free space on your partition?

To start the Windows disk manager:

-> Click 'Start'.

-> Select 'Run'

-> Type 'compmgmt.msc' and click 'OK' (or press 'Enter')

-> In the tree view on the left side, click 'Disk Management'

-> Once the disk manager window appears, it will show information about your physical and logical hard drives/partitions.

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos