VMware Communities
VGAcruz
Contributor
Contributor

hard disk of my virtual machine is back in time

hi hope someone can support me, I have a virtual machine fusion and a companion were working with files samba on mac server and restart the server virtual machine start but indicating that there was some files and try to locate a once found, we saw that the operating system was fine and everything was on the C: drive, but the partition E: where we had other folders are returned six months ago, there is someone who could explain to me what happened with my files and if I can restore this information.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It looks like the VM ran on a snapshot, and was somehow reverted!? Please explain what exactly you did with the VM (i.e. did you edit the settings?

"To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .zip file (VMware Fusion 6) or .tgz file (VMware Fusion 5 and earlier) it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

Note: Use the "Use advanced editor" link in the upper right corner of the normal reply window to bring up the Advanced Editor where you'll be able to attach files via the Choose File button or Browse button (depending on the Browser) above the Post Message button!"

André

0 Kudos
VGAcruz
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks André for your support, I will try to explain what has happened, my partner realizao a test by the command line of Mac OS X server to change the connection via samba for a tablet, restarting the server virtual machine will start but indicating that it did not find a file and showed a window was saying that if he wanted to move or copy, I do not know exactly what window refers to, but the VM has two disks, one for system and another for storing different folders on the disc hard folders only files that were created till may last year and till date have not been recuparar current files were found, hope I explained correctly. Thank you.

Annex the zip you mention me.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You seem to be talking about the Zopilote VM, which has auto-protect enabled...

The snapshot chains on that particular VM are a bit convoluted.

You can start by shutting down your VM and VMware Fusion and after that take a full backup of the whole folder to an external disk before you do anything else. That way whatever happens you will have a way to get back to your current state.

There's 2 vmx files in that folder too, one called "good" vmx.. which I bet is the bad vmx.. sorry off to bed for me.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos