VMware Communities
awilber
Contributor
Contributor

grey box (gray square) appearing in top left of many WinXP windows

I am seeing an intermittent grey box appear over the top left corner of many WinXP windows. It is roughly square in shape, and covers about the first 3-4 menu items (to give a sense of width/size). If I mouseover that grey region, any active buttons or menu items that were previously ocluded by the grey box become visible and are usable. Then sometimes the box just disappears altogether, with normal display resuming. I found a thread in the fusion beta forum that acknowledges bug 31801:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/166637

But this thread is locked. Is there a place to track that bug and monitor progress?

I'm using 2.0 (116369) on a MBP. I mostly use Unity (I'm not sure if I've seen this in single-window mode), and I've seen switching out of Unity mode clear up the problem (well, it re-renders everything, so it's perhaps not surprising).

I also see other display artifacts that are less annoying and less consistent (and harder to articulate), including pieces of windows remaining temporarily after a window moves or is minimized, inability to pop windows to the front (another WinXP window refuses to get out of the "front"), slow response when resizing, etc. I mention these in case they are somehow related.

I upgraded my Fusion from 1.3, and my VM was converted from a Parallels VM (also in case it's relevant somehow).

2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Is there a place to track that bug and monitor progress?

No, our bug tracking system is not externally accessible. 318012 has recently been resolved, the fix will be in the next release of Fusion.

I also see other display artifacts that are less annoying and less consistent (and harder to articulate), including pieces of windows remaining temporarily after a window moves or is minimized, inability to pop windows to the front (another WinXP window refuses to get out of the "front"), slow response when resizing, etc. I mention these in case they are somehow related.

I don't think those are related, though they sound like Tools might not be quite installed properly.

I upgraded my Fusion from 1.3, and my VM was converted from a Parallels VM (also in case it's relevant somehow).

Converted from Parallels might be relevant, especially if you didn't uninstall their equivalent of Tools.

0 Kudos
gsember
Contributor
Contributor

I would be curious to hear what the fix was (if possible) - graphics driver update?

I'm currently experiencing a similar issue while running Windows XP native on a PC. Appears mostly when closing Outlook 2002.

Sorry that this is off-topic (I'm not running under VMWare) but I really would like to know. It seems to go hand-in-hand with Internet Explorer 8 hanging, but correlation is not causation.

0 Kudos