VMware Communities
andycushman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

getting Windows to recognize an increase in virtual disk size

I just installed Fusion on a new Mac computer, and I installed Windows as well. I didn't notice that Fusion had only allocated 40 Gb of virtual disk space to Windows until I got "disk full" warnings. I figured out how to increase the size of the virtual disk, but Windows thinks it still only has 40 Gb. How do I get Windows to recognize the increased virtual disk space?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
puzzledtux
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Which Windows OS are you running? There is a disk management utility within Windows

Right-Click "My Computer" > Manage > Disk Management

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
puzzledtux
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Which Windows OS are you running? There is a disk management utility within Windows

Right-Click "My Computer" > Manage > Disk Management

0 Kudos
andycushman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows XP Professional

0 Kudos
andycushman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows XP Professional

I'm in the Disk Management window, and I see the (C:) drive at 39.99 GB NTFS Healthy (System) and the200 GB Unallocated. How do I move the "Unallocated" to the "C" drive?

0 Kudos
puzzledtux
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You may have to use a third-party utility to extend the volume. I know of one such utility which you can try..Gparted! You may have to download a bootable ISO of it and then perform the disk extend operation.

andycushman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I am moving this to the VMware Fusion Forum

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780136083214]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I just installed Fusion on a new Mac computer, and I installed Windows as well. I didn't notice that Fusion had only allocated 40 Gb of virtual disk space to Windows until I got "disk full" warnings. I figured out how to increase the size of the virtual disk, but Windows thinks it still only has 40 Gb. How do I get Windows to recognize the increased virtual disk space?

Have a look at:

0 Kudos