VMware Communities
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

fusion 8.x Windows VM running 100% cpu

I am at the latest VMware fusion. I am running a windows 8 VM that is using using 100% cpu but no process is running on the VM.

any idea?

vmware tools installed

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Common causes:

- System restore (disble)

- Virusscan running since VM only booted occassionally (disable scans and use auto-protect)

- Runaway windows update

What does task manager show if you sort by CPU usage and view all processes?

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

- System restore (disble) - disabled

- Virusscan running since VM only booted occassionally (disable scans and use auto-protect) - no antivirus running

- Runaway windows update - none

any other idea? was running perfectly before

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

If the VM is running with practically zero CPU at the VM point of view and 100% as seen from the host then I'm inclined to think that there's a CPU scheduling issue.

How many virtual CPUs did you assign to the VM?

Another possible scenario where you see a lot of CPU (but normally also disk usage) at the host is if the host is CPU constrained.

Yet another possibility, incompatibility with a feature in a virus scanner itself (assuming you run such a thing)

Avast and AVG are causing slowness issues for people and it appears that BitDefender might be added to that list as well.

If you happen to use either Avast or AVG then see this thread:

XP VM suddenly slow, Win 7 fine

For Bitdefender so far the only reported workaround is uninstall and revert to an older version.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

fusion is making my osX machine running super slow

the VM is windows 8 with 2vcpus 4gb ram

the macbook pro has 16gb ram 2.5ghz i7

i already uninstall antivirus on it.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The config sounds fine. Huh, strange and there is nothing in the guest that is using CPU?

As in, you only see the CPU usage from within OSX? Not within the guest?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos