VMware Communities
jonathanzg
Contributor
Contributor

fusion 6.04 with Yosemite GM very slow

Hello, I have as a host Yosemite 10.10 beta 5 and as a VM Windows 8.1 in fusion 6.04.  Everything is very slow, and VMX process that 100% of one of my processors.  Is this normal for fusion 6.04 running under 10.10 beta 5?  Any way to fix the VMX process running at 100% all the time??

13 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi jonathanzg,

Thx for using Fusion.

As Yosemite is GAed, could you pls try Yosemite GA version, and let us know if you still encounter the performance issue?

Thx a lot.

0 Kudos
garthabrindoid
Contributor
Contributor

FWIW, I'm noticing extreme slowness with Fusion 6.0.5 on Yosemite too.  It's pretty much unusable.  For example, it takes 21 seconds for the menu to appear after I click on the Start button.  I'm running Windows XP, and it worked perfectly fine under Mavericks and Fusion 6.0.2.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'm curious to know if you are encountering this problem on a Mid-2011 iMac like some other folks have.

If it is the same problem, a possible fix is provided in lordboogie's post in this other thread: Re: Fusion 7 is running VERY SLOW on the GM of Yosemite

Cheers,

--

Darius

FranksVMid
Contributor
Contributor

After updating my Mac Pro (built in 2009) to OS X 10.10 (18.10.2014 Yosemite with GA status) now I see some bad news in my vmware fusion 6.05 world:

- sporadic black screens on vmware fusion guest systems, no matter which OS the guest systems run.  The blackouts come and go, they have a frequency of about 5 in a minute and last for 5 seconds each.

- sporadic losses of connection to the bluetooth connected devices like mouse and trackpad, no matter which OS on the guest. The connectivity issues come and go, with higher frequency than black screens.

IMPORTANT:  the black screen / bluetooth loss does not appear in Mac OS operations, but constantly in the fusion world.

Question A: Do I understand some conversations on this board correctly, telling me I have to upgrade to fusion 7 cause this is designed for Yosemite and fusion 6 is not and won't be in future?

Question B: If I upgrade to fusion 7 will my screen and connectivity issues be solved?

Thanks for all your help!

0 Kudos
garthabrindoid
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, wow! Yes, I am indeed using a mid-2011 iMac.  Never considered it might be hardware related.  I'll try the fix tonight and report back.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
jonathanzg
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I still have the problem with yosemite GA, and as all comments in this post, I have a 2011 iMac.

0 Kudos
garthabrindoid
Contributor
Contributor

Just tried the nvram fix (sudo nvram boot-args="debug=0xd4e") and now VMWare is just as fast as it was under Mavericks.  Wow.  Thanks!

macalb
Contributor
Contributor

What do you mean with "Yosemite GA version"?

I have the same problem with VMware fusion 7, it's so slow I can't start any virtual machine!

0 Kudos
macalb
Contributor
Contributor

Seems solved now after "sudo nvram boot-args="debug=0xd4e".

Thanks.

0 Kudos
garthabrindoid
Contributor
Contributor

The short answer is that GM = GA and that they both more or less mean "the offical version, released to the public".

For all the details, see the "Release" section in Wikipedia's article about the software release life cycle.

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This issue is being tracked (and answered by VMware) at Fusion 7 is running VERY SLOW on the GM of Yosemite . Please consolidate all discussion there.

0 Kudos
FranksVMid
Contributor
Contributor

Solution: Upgrading to Fusion V7.01

Since running V7.01 on Yosemite, none of the previous seen problems do exist.

Connection issues and black or frozen screens are gone now. 

Speed of VMs is better since doing "sudo nvram boot-args ..."

Thanks for your help    :smileyplus::smileyplus:

0 Kudos
sdsmpie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Reading all these issues  i have come to the following conclusion..

i will not be upgrading to Yosemite because it offers me little improvement and benefit .

Ofcourse i would love to have a new shiny OS with all the goodness that comes with it..

But it's becoming clear to me that Vmware is focusing on Fusion 7 with Yosemite.

And not running Fusion 6 on Yosemite...Also slowing my machine to just get handoff and such stuff is not worth it at all..

So until i run in to problems ..running stable is more important..

0 Kudos