VMware Communities
dk91
Contributor
Contributor

fusion 4.0.1 on MAC X.7 Lion Windows 7 x64 has no sound - "Error in starting sound stream"

I upgraded my MAC from VM F3 to VM F4, but now my clients dont have sound - when the first sound appears, i get this message "Error in starting sound stream" - all VMware tools ok, re-installed, etc. also removed and re-nstalled sound driver in win HW manager - I saw 2-3 other discussions, but none were this exact problem, and none of the solutions ofefred seem to work - was it a big mistake to upgrade?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
dk91
Contributor
Contributor

one more thing - when I did not upgrade a VM, sound works!

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

dk91
Contributor
Contributor

on some VMs yes, but only after upgrade, then VMware update, then reboot, shutdown, remove sound card, reboout shutdown< add device, reboot, worked for about 70% of VMs... and takes hours per VM instance...

The boot of Win 7 on VM F4 is MUCH SLOWER than on F3

0 Kudos
dk91
Contributor
Contributor

after wasting so much time with all these re-boots, I had to go to Windows Device Manager and manually remove all the (real and phantom) drivers in the sound card section, the re-scan hardware, and finally, 4 hours later, it worked

Would have been so easy, to clean up when re-installing the VMWare Tools... Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
jwmcumber
Contributor
Contributor

I installed Fusion 4 and Win 7 using an external sound output and everything was fine.  However, when I removed my my Macbook from the external sound system I have the same problem described by dk91.

I'm rather new to Win 7.  4 hours for a hardware scan seems excessive.  Is this normal for Win 7?

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

What external sound output are your using? A USB sound card or headset or etc. And did you try just remove the sound card and re-add it in VM settings? Normally it will work.

0 Kudos
dk91
Contributor
Contributor

No, it's not normal for Win 7 - sorry if I was unclear - the 4 hours was to find the problem and fix it on 4 upgraded VMs and all the many reboots, shutdowns and startups that were necessary to fix all 4 VMs. The problem turned out to be actually 3 different types of problems.

Win 7 needs less than a miniute to do a hardware scan. but the different manipulations required several shut downs, then add or remove the sound card on the VMware settings, then reboot etc.

In summary, the best way (i did on the last VM and was fastest) is to

1. delete ALL the sound cards in Win 7 using the device manager. Then

2. shut down Win 7. Then

3. delete soundcard from VMware device settings for that machine.

4. In some cases it may be better to now reboot the host (optional, may flush cached devices)

5. reboot Win 7

6. Shutdown win 7

7. Add sound card in VMware device settings for that machine.

8. Boot Win 7, and it should detect and add sound card (if VMware Tools are installed and updated)

I had for example multiple instances of a phantom sound card on one of the machines (I assume from failed installs by VMware Tools), so until they all got removed and flushed out (reboot, yup), it would not work. I found a KB article on MS support site how to flush the drivers on the Win 7 side, but that did not work. They had 4 methods, and I gave up after 2 of them...

Now it's just a distant memory...

One other observation: in some cases, if you have multiple VMs running and doing HW installs, there seems to be a non-documented interaction. One machine hung completely, but after I shut down another one, it recovered    and resumed on its own - not sure why.

Good Luck!

0 Kudos
jwmcumber
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to delete the sound card in Win 7 and then install the sound card.  That solved the problem for sound coming through the MacBook speakers.  I then switched back and forth between the MacBook sound and the external sound and everything now works.

The external output is a Griffin Firewire.

0 Kudos
jwmcumber
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the clarification on Win 7 hardware scan.  The scan did not give me an indication it was complete, so it was hard to know if it was still working or not.  I went through the procedure to delete the sound card in Win 7 and add it back and now everything works.

0 Kudos
joemath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DK91,

Thank you!  Your 8-step process fixed my sound card problems.

I'm migrating from an old MBP with SL 10.6.8 / Fusion 3.1.3 to a new MBP with Lion 10.7.2 / Fusion 4.1.1.  Even though I uninstalled/reinstalled VMware Tools in a Win7 x32 VM, sound didn't work on the new MBP.  Then I followed your steps and sound immediately started working.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
dk91
Contributor
Contributor

glad it helped!

0 Kudos