VMware Communities
rt2
Contributor
Contributor

freeze on install at product (XP) installation request

I've gotten Fusion installed on my mac but am having trouble trying to create the VM on a seperate drive dedicated to and running XP on BootCamp.

The MS splash screen appears, then the blue "Welcome" page. After that I get a an error message as such:

"Windows Product Activation. Copy of Windows must be activated before logging on. Do you want to activate Windows now? YES / NO"

After this my computer freezes up and I can't select anything. Only way to regain control is w/ control/command. I've been stuck here for hours despite reinstalls of Fusion.

Any ideas on how to get past this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
rt2
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, let try this out.

I've got a complete XP w/ application install on my BootCamp drive. I assume that that is the copy I need to re-activate since it is also the copy used by Fusion.

If I reactivate the BootCamp XP version, will this take care of my activation problem? And then, when do I install VMware Tools? When I first open XP in VM is that to install VM tools....OR WHEN?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If I reactivate the BootCamp XP version, will this take care of my activation problem?

No. The activation problem occurs because the virtual hardware looks different from physical hardware, which Windows notices.

And then, when do I install VMware Tools? When I first open XP in VM is that to install VM tools....OR WHEN?

To install VMware Tools, the VM needs to be running and logged in. You should install Tools when you can, and before reactivation if possible.

0 Kudos