VMware Communities
Steve101
Contributor
Contributor

freeDOS Issues

Hi folks,

I succesfully installed Windows XP using Fusion on my Macbook and it works like a charm.

Now, I try to get some of my old DOS Applications running. As a first step I succesfully installed freeDOS. When I boot the installed OS afterwards, the VM crashes as soon as the memory managers are loaded.

Has anyone here experienced similar problems? How can I resolve them?

Thank you,

Steve

0 Kudos
4 Replies
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have seen somebody else report this. It sounds like a CPU virtualization bug. not specific to Fusion. If you get a chance, can you try running the same FreeDOS VM with VMware Workstation 6 beta (for Linux or Windows). In any case, please file a bug. I think this is a regression, as many of our customers successfully used FreeDOS with Workstation 5.5.3.

0 Kudos
Steve101
Contributor
Contributor

Hi HPReg,

I spent some more time on that issue. It occurs with different DOSes, but only if I use more than 16MB of RAM.

I am not to sure, whether it still is a bug: Does DOS support more than 16 MB of RAM? Maybe a corresponding warning in the VM-Setup dialog would be appropriate.

Should I still report a bug?

Thank you,

Stephan

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

>Does DOS support more than 16 MB of RAM? Maybe a corresponding warning in the VM-Setup dialog would be appropriate

I don't know how well FreeDOS emulates MS-DOS, but I found this reference on Microsoft's site:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/95555

[b]HIMEM.SYS Creates XMS Memory[/b]

HIMEM.SYS implements all of the XMS except the optional UMB portion. HIMEM.SYS versions earlier than 3.0 are XMS 2.0 compliant and recognize up to 16 MB of RAM; versions 3.0 and later (first included with Windows 3.10 and MS-DOS 6.0) are XMS 3.0 compliant and recognize up to 4 GB.[/i]

0 Kudos
Steve101
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you,

I just reported the bug.

0 Kudos