VMware Communities
dosmith
Contributor
Contributor

fn-ctrl-alt-del on macbook pro-still no go!

Hi all,

I have read many of the forum messages on this topic, but most seem to be able to send fn-ctrl-alt-del on their MacbookPro laptop keyboard.

Unfortunately, I have yet to have it work.

I have tried external keyboards and the VMFusion "send-ctrl-alt-del" to my winXP2 virtual machine and still "no go". I have also tried, ctrl-alt-insert, ctrl-alt-fn-M.

I am running the fusion product on the mac OSx 10.4.10 this particular macbook pro was assembled over seas-Model A1150

I thought that the Beta refresh 49528 might help this problem but it did not. Is my macbook pro laptop a special case?

I monkeyed around in the keboard settings on my macbbook pro --thinking I have failed to configure something.

However, in it 's default settingsthe fusion product seems to correctly get the ctrl-apple function OKwhen I select or de-select the XP VM window. I am not using bootcamp--as I thought that I didn't have to do so.

Any suggestions, or shall I wait for more beta updates? or is the macbook pro laptop manufacture date an issue?

dosmith

0 Kudos
14 Replies
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

What order are you pressing the keys in? It works for me on my MacBook Pro (just tested this second) when I hold Ctrl, then Option (which is Alt on a MacBook Pro keyboard), then Fn, then Delete. You're correct that it doesn't work if you hold Fn down before you press Ctrl or Option; I'm not sure what keys the laptop keyboard sends if you hold Fn down first, but it's probably not sending Ctrl or Option.

You can always use the Virtual Machine -> Send Ctrl Alt Del menu, as well.

0 Kudos
dosmith
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried that as well--since I have seen others forum items.

I am not sure whats' up--because I can select and de-select the vm with no problem using ctrl-apple.

dosmith

0 Kudos
dosmith
Contributor
Contributor

PsI have no mouse functions either--

external or using trackpad.

VM send ctrl-alt-del does not work .

Dosmith

0 Kudos
dosmith
Contributor
Contributor

Say,

If you have the time---what are your keyboard and mouse settings set to in the system preferences?

Maybe I need to reconfigur those items?

dosmith

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

If you're running your VM from a Boot Camp partition, try renaming or deleting the directory:

~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp

then restarting Fusion and opening the Boot Camp partition again.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Where is the mouse when you do this? It's not enough to select the VM window, input must also be "grabbed", i.e. keys must be getting sent to the VM. You're grabbed when the statusbar says "To return to your computer, press Control-Cmd", this should happen when your mouse is over the contents of the VM window.

0 Kudos
dosmith
Contributor
Contributor

Mouse is being grabbed by the VM--but then does not work within the VM window. I can also select ctrl-apple key to release the mouse from the VM.

I am Not working in Bootcamp-I thought working in bootcamp was optionalnot required?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Mouse is being grabbed by the VM--but then does not

work within the VM window.

How does it not work?

I am Not working in Bootcamp---I thought working in

bootcamp was optional--not required?

It is optional, bgertzfield was just trying that out as an idea.

0 Kudos
dosmith
Contributor
Contributor

When I click inside the VM the mouse pointer is grabbedbut the pointer is in a fixed position and will not move. the only cntrl keys that seem to work are the release or un-grab combination of ctrl-apple key

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

That's really strange, and I'd think it's a bigger problem than ctrl-alt-fn-del not working. Has your mouse ever worked with this VM? Does it work in other Fusion VMs?

0 Kudos
dosmith
Contributor
Contributor

This vm is a former physical machine that I converted. I will test the vm as a guest on win2003 test server and as a guest on a winxp desktop this afternoon to see if I have the same issues.

Thanks all.

I'll close this thread and accept this as a "quirk" of my mac at this time.

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Since this was imported using VMware Converter, I am going to recommend trying one thing to see if this helps at all though I don't think it will. Let's create a new VMware Fusion VM settings file that points to your existing virtual disk that you have been using.

1) Launch VMware Fusion and click New, click Next to proceed

2) Select Windows XP Professional and click Next

3) Assign it a new name and click Next

4) In the Virtual Hard Disk screen, click on the Advanced Disk Options arrow, check the "Use an existing virtual disk" checkbox and click on the popup menu to select your existing VMDK from your existing virtual machine. Click Next

5) On the last screen, I believe it will have a Start VM option. Uncheck this and click Finish

6) In the Virtual Machine Library, select the new VM and click on Settings. Make sure the memory setting is appropriate for your VM and click OK.

7) Select the "New" VM in the VM Library and click on Run

NOTE: I am running an internal build and steps to finish may be slightly different.

This should give you the default settings for a new VM but use your existing virtual hard disk. Make sure to update the VMware Tools to the latest version as well by select "Install VMware Tools" from the Virtual Machine menu once Windows has booted. You will then have to restart after the update to tools.

Once you have done these two things, if things still are funky I would be looking at to what could be wrong with Windows installed inside your VM.

Let us know if this helps.

Pat

0 Kudos
dosmith
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tips on rebuilding--but using the same external vm disk.

You know the funny thing about this problem is that every other VM menu item works except the "send-ctrl-alt-del" one.

I can restart guest, shutdown guest, suspend guest , etc.

I will try this fix.

Dosmith

0 Kudos
kristopher
Contributor
Contributor

I have a MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.5.6 and VMware Player 2.0.5 build-109488 for Linux tunneled through X11. To send Ctrl-Alt-Del I have to click inside the VM (or press ctrl-G) to grab input and then press fn-ctrl-apple-M. These keys can be pressed in any order as long as the M is last.

0 Kudos