VMware Communities
luciano991
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

file sharing with vista...read only problem

Hi,

I'm running Vista Business edition in Fusion on an iMac. I can get to all my files on the iMac from the Vista VM but I cannot save them back. I either get a read-only error or a message that says I don't have permission to write to the folders on the iMac. I also run XP Pro in a Fusion VM on the same network and I don't have any problem writing data to the iMac. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Luciano

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you using Fusion's Shared Folders or OSX file sharing? If Shared folders, then check the Virtual Machine Settings of the Vista virtual machine to make sure that read-only is not set for the shared folder.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you using Fusion's Shared Folders or OSX file sharing? If Shared folders, then check the Virtual Machine Settings of the Vista virtual machine to make sure that read-only is not set for the shared folder.

0 Kudos
luciano991
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much. That was the solution. I see you are an expert with 1702 posts. I have some other questions about Virtual Machine servers and how they might function in a computer lab and/or a computer classroom open to the public. If you are knowlegeable about his contact me at mountain991@gmail.com.

Thanks again and all the best to you,

Mark

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm hardly an expert, but thanks for that anyway. :smileyblush: I've been mostly self-taught in virtaulization and it's been something like 10 years since I was maintaining a campus computer lab. That was before I learned virtualization.

You may want to post your question in Virtualization Technolgy general forum for other experts to give you better direction for using virtualization in the classroom. All my work now is with non-public computers, a lot of medical doctors offices with HIPPA requirements, so my thought processes are likely not the direction you need for a classroom.

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The question of a lab/public setting has come up before, and it's one that requires a bit of thought if you want to do things right. VMware ACE is more appropriate for such a setting, but it's not available on a Mac.

Some threads about using Fusion in a lab/public setting:

luciano991
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Etung,

Thanks for the reference to ACE. This looks like an interesting solution for me and I will be exploring it further. While they don't make a Mac version, it looks like you can run Windows VM's on your Mac using ACE as illustrated in one of the case studies. Anyway, you've given me an interesting line of investigation and I appreciate it.

All the best,

luciano

0 Kudos
luciano991
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, I'll check out the forums you suggest.

All the best,

Mark

0 Kudos