VMware Communities
thf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

fedora 10 - works? tools?

Hi...

I'm downloading a "live" iso of Fedora 10. It's an installer, as well.

Question: Has anyone tried Fedora 10 yet?

Biggest question: I assume a clean install will work fine as far as fedora goes, but will the tools work with this version?

Thanks in advance for any time you might have for a reply,

Tom

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Rockapot
Expert
Expert

I done a quick install yesterday of Fedora 10 on Workstation 6.5 although have not had a chance to do the VM tools install so not sure on that front.

Carl

0 Kudos
JohnCasebolt
Contributor
Contributor

I've got Fedora 10 x86_64 up and running in a Fusion 2.0.1 VM (1 virtual CPU, 384MB RAM, NAT, 8GB SCSI drive).

The install hung when installing the bootloader, but I was able to stop the VM and restart it; the boot seemed to go off without a hitch.

After installing gcc and kernel-devel, the vmware tools install was able to compile and modprobe the vmware modules A-OK.

Only problem: the X configuration from vmware-config-tools bombs.

Looks like the problem is that vmware-config-tools thinks that my F10 install has XFree86 and not Xorg installed.

I tried to see how they figure this out in the perl script, but it looks pretty complicated.

It could be because there is no xorg.conf file anywhere on my system, and vmware-config-tools thinks XFree86 is the way to go.

In any event, I am just ignoring the error for now and pressing ahead with the default Xorg configuration (no config file).

Message was edited by: JohnCasebolt

0 Kudos
CharlieF
Contributor
Contributor

I got Fedora 10 i386 to install on Workstation -6.0.5 (1 -CPU, 1GB RAM, bridged, 8GB SCSI drive).

I got the tools built, but in the vmware-config-tools, it hangs at the "blocking file system" phase. Did a reset and the system comes back but complains about the tolls not being properly configured. It seemed to let me set the screen size, so I don't think it is an Xorg/XFree86 problem. The modules that were built got the "loaded perfectly" message.

If anyone gets the tools built successfully , I'd sure like to hear how he did it!

Charlie

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

I tried first with the i386 DVD, but anaconda exited abnormally before loading the installer GUI (happened also in Parallels); the x64 DVD worked for loading the installer, but then it exited abnormally halfway during the package install - so, rather strange things seem to happen here...

With the i686 Live CD, OTOH, everything worked fine: also the Tools compilation, even if the configuration script, towards the end, complained about something such as no screens found (IIRC); but after logging out and in again everything anyway seems to work (also Unity).

As in Mandriva 2009, the screen resizing isn't fully automatic (at least in my configuration): i.e., you also have to click the zoom button after login in order to autofit the window (in case of a full screen resolution, so to say).

0 Kudos
vukodlak
Contributor
Contributor

I got the tools installed without any errors (besides the xorg missing) but drag and drop doesn't work.

0 Kudos
vukodlak
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I got it.

Before install:

Create a xorg.conf file and then add the following:

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "vmware"

EndSection

then copy the file to /etc/X11/ as root

now install vmware tools

then you need to add vmware-user (found in /usr/bin/) to start with your session.

It is supposed to start (see below) but it doesn't.

quote from vmware:

" You will need to either manually start /usr/bin/vmware-user or log out and log

back in to this desktop session to obtain the following features: guest

resolution fit, drag and drop, and file and text copy/paste. vmware-user is

configured to automatically start at a graphical login, but that won't take

effect until the next login."

0 Kudos
Koenraad
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem, even after having created the xorg.

0 Kudos
nitingupta
Contributor
Contributor

I got it working on F10 (KDE4) - had a hard time figuring out how to add vmware-user to startup. ~/.kde/Autostart is empty so couldn't find sample file to play around.

Finally found this GUI way of adding vmware-user to startup:

System-settings --> goto advanced tab --> Autostart --> Add program: here add /usr/bin/vmware-user.

Now vmware-user will autostart (assuming you are using KDE)

(Still ~/.kde/Autostart is empty, so not sure where this GUI made entry).

- Nitin

0 Kudos